GM 5.3 gas mileage

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #21  
less mpg= more gallons purchased= more taxes taken as well.:mad:

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #22  
Only 5500 miles on the new truck, that's barely an oil change. I'm sure you'll see a good 1 or 2 mpg increase once the engine gets more "broken in".
I find this rather disappointing considering my 97 F150 4x4 ext cab with the 4.6, 4 spd auto and 3.55 gears get 15 flat.
Keep in mind that old Ford F150 was lucky to make 250hp and had a towing capacity of less than 5000lbs vs your new truck with 315hp/338lb.ft and a tow capacity of almost 10,000lbs.

I love the comments that trucks haven't improved at all since they get the same mileage as trucks from 10 years ago but these same people don't get the fact that they make twice the power, tow twice as much and put out half the emissions of those old trucks...:mur:
The "conspiracy theorist" are funny too. "The government makes the auto manufacturers use more fuel". OK morons, put on your tin foil caps and keep believing that. These trucks may use as much fuel but do TWICE the work, last TWICE as long and put out HALF the smog!

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #23  
The new Turbo eco-boost Ford gets an Honest 23 mpg at less than 70 mph. But most people think it does not have the" Beans" for them?? Of course it won't haul a real heavy trailer, but how come most people are driving and only hauling ars down the freeway.?Probably 70 %+ single occupant..

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #24  
15.3 mpg combined / 1,600 gallons via DIC. Probably more than 1/2 = city.
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 / 5.3 / 3:73 4 speed.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #26  
Only 5500 miles on the new truck, that's barely an oil change. I'm sure you'll see a good 1 or 2 mpg increase once the engine gets more "broken in".

Keep in mind that old Ford F150 was lucky to make 250hp and had a towing capacity of less than 5000lbs vs your new truck with 315hp/338lb.ft and a tow capacity of almost 10,000lbs.

I love the comments that trucks haven't improved at all since they get the same mileage as trucks from 10 years ago but these same people don't get the fact that they make twice the power, tow twice as much and put out half the emissions of those old trucks...:mur:
The "conspiracy theorist" are funny too. "The government makes the auto manufacturers use more fuel". OK morons, put on your tin foil caps and keep believing that. These trucks may use as much fuel but do TWICE the work, last TWICE as long and put out HALF the smog!

Yes it's true that the new ones do twice the work, last at least 2x as long, have double the horespower and are 10x more comfortable than anything previous. If any one of the big 3 would come up with a 400hp V8 that can tow 10K and get 30 MPG, they'd have the market cornered. There's no conspiracy here.

Heck, a Z06 Corvette gets in the mid to high 20's HWY with 500+HP...The manufacturers are getting there

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #27  
The new Turbo eco-boost Ford gets an Honest 23 mpg at less than 70 mph. But most people think it does not have the" Beans" for them?? Of course it won't haul a real heavy trailer, but how come most people are driving and only hauling ars down the freeway.?Probably 70 %+ single occupant..

My dad bought a 2011 3.5 Twin Turbo Crew Cab 4x4 F-150 with 3.73 gears on May 1st. Not sure how many miles now but rode to dinner in it Sunday and it has averaged 18.4 mpg to date. Its rated to pull 11,300# and feels like a beast. He has not had it more than 20 miles from home yet so can not comment on the highway MPG. Not sure about the towing comment but it will tow with any V8 gas truck. It makes diesel like power, especially down low.

I have owned many gas 1/2 ton 4x4's from Ford. All averaged 15.5mpg or so. I currently have a 2008 Nissan Titan with the Big Tow Package, 2" lift, 4x4, 33" tires, ect and it gets 14.5mpg

I think you are about right. I have heard the GM trucks do real good below 57mph but any over that and they are right with everyone else.

Chris

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #28  
We really need to put diesel in more vehicles for sure. we would be able to use smaller motor for same task and increased mileage.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #29  
04 Silverado, 5.3 , 3.73 X-cab, 48,000 miles.
I get 17.5 -20.3mpg that's doing the math on every tank fill up (CC receipt/ Trip monitor). Speedo is dead on with the police road side speed monitors. That's city and highway.
I get down around 14 towing a 20' Sea Ray I/O 3200#.
Original tires.

/ GM 5.3 gas mileage #30  
'03 Silverado Z-71 Ext. Cab. A/T tires, tool boxes in bed full of "stuff". 5.3 engine, about 80K miles. 3.73 gears.

Normally I avg. about 15-16 mpg. Normal highway driving about 17-18. Recently I followed my buddy who was towing a camper and we kept our speeds about 60-65 in the interestate instead of the normal 70-75. I avg. 19 mpg on the way up. On the way back I was solo and got about 17 mpg but I was going about 70-75 mph.

Also take into consideration the trucks of today are probably much heavier. Also I would bet that even though they have 6 speed transmissions the final gear ratio is probably not that far off from my 4-speed.