/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
saw my first Uhual GMC w3500 today...

one of these wearing Uhaul stickers.
May10,2008-2002GMCW350012FootBoxTruckAluninumTommyLiftGate97kmi.JPG

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #2  
Great little trucks. Comfort could be better, cab a bit noisy, but bullet proof chassis and driveline.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #3  
I see a lot of them around my area. Very popular. Not sure but I think they are just a re-badged Izuzu like you put in the title.

Chris

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #4  
Do they have the little isuzu diesels? I have seen crew cab models too.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #5  
saw my first Uhual GMC w3500 today...

one of these wearing Uhaul stickers.
May10,2008-2002GMCW350012FootBoxTruckAluninumTommyLiftGate97kmi.JPG

I'd like one like this

GMC W3500 PU style.jpg

The 4-cyl Isuzu diesel in the 2008 is rated at 200 hp and 441 lb-ft torque. Not too shabby.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #6  
I think one of those Isuzu cab forwards will be my next truck. Guy came over the other day with one he bought used with 79,000mi and clean as new. 19,500GVW, huge Isuzu 6cyl diesel with Allison. He paid 4K for it. Why would I buy a light duty PU for 50K with a lousy 4-5K payload capability when these trucks can be had for cheap.

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #7  
Before you buy it, check on what it will cost to insure it. I was going to do the same thing in 2002 and was told insurance was ten grand a year. It wasn't a written quote, and that was in California, but because it's a commercial vehicle, it's crazy expensive to operate it on the roads.

Eddie

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR
Ditto that suggestion. I'm with Allstate in Michigan and once you go over about 11K GVW, things change a lot. :(

I dont understand.... what is a 3/4ton/1ton truck then? the ones that can tow 15k lbs have to be 20K+ GCVW.... regardless of how they are registered with the state and CDL/no CDL.

As a side note, ive been considering moveing to a "farm" status... then i only have to carry one personal vehicle and all my other vehicles can be "farm" vehicles. Per a long conversations with to other friends that have "farm" status dispute not working row crops and it seems to have great benefits. of which the insurance didnt care what the vehicles were licensed as (like 10K lb + plates on trucks etc) and of course for farm vehicles you need no CDL. :thumbsup:

but i did just get my class B NON CDL for the FD...

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #9  
I dont understand.... what is a 3/4ton/1ton truck then? the ones that can tow 15k lbs have to be 20K+ GCVW.... regardless of how they are registered with the state and CDL/no CDL.

Big difference in GVWR and GCWR. GVWR is what can be carried on the axles of the truck. GCWR is the max weight that can be on the axles of both the truck and trailer combined.

Most 3/4 ton diesel truck have a GVWR of around 9,000 to 10,000# while the GCWR is somewhere in the 24,000# range.

A 1 ton is going to be in the neighborhood of 10,000 to 13,500# GVWR while the GCWR is around 26,000#.

The Isuzu has a 19,500# GVWR. No mention of the GCWR. The weight he listed is what it can carry on its axles, not tow.

Chris

/ GMC w3500/Izuzu NPR #10  
Before you buy it, check on what it will cost to insure it. I was going to do the same thing in 2002 and was told insurance was ten grand a year. It wasn't a written quote, and that was in California, but because it's a commercial vehicle, it's crazy expensive to operate it on the roads.

Eddie

Your right that might be the hidden reason you don't see more used for personal use. There is a Mac cab over 26K GVW for sale 3K near me also. Nice thing about these truck as the landscapers know is I wouldn't need a trailer 99% of the time as I would have abot a 16-20' bed. I wonder if they can be insured just liability only but there again maybe that is were most of the cost is.