GMC Zerk Question

/ GMC Zerk Question #1  

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris RZR 900 Trail
Last time I greased my 04 GMC 4x4 the grease began squirting back out of the passenger side upper ball joint zerk. When I depressed the pin with a drift, it stopped. Opposite of what should happen.

Does anyone know if the zerk is pressed in or threaded? I tried to turn it, but it didn't seem to want to move. Didn't want to push my luck. Asked around and I am getting conflicting opinions.

I could drill it out and retap with a new one. But if it threads, I won't have to.

Just a matter of planning...At the moment I have the zerk capped to hold the grease in.

Any help would be appreciated...

/ GMC Zerk Question #4  
I've had many grease zerks piss back out. As long as I saw grease bleed from the seal, I just wiped it off and didn't think twice about it.

/ GMC Zerk Question
I've had many grease zerks piss back out. As long as I saw grease bleed from the seal, I just wiped it off and didn't think twice about it.

Problem is that it won't stop. It might eventually, but I don't know how empty the ball joint will be at that point. Personally I've never seen this happen before.

/ GMC Zerk Question #6  
Does the boot on the ball joint feel full? Did you over grease it?? May be there is enough pressure in there pushing the grease back out. The grease coming out the zerk is better than the alternative of splitting or blowing out the boot.

/ GMC Zerk Question
Does the boot on the ball joint feel full? Did you over grease it?? May be there is enough pressure in there pushing the grease back out. The grease coming out the zerk is better than the alternative of splitting or blowing out the boot.

The boot is full. Didn't over do it, and didn't push it out of the boot. The odd part is that if I push the zerk pin down it stops. Should be the other way around.

/ GMC Zerk Question #8  
hit a dealer and see if they have one in stock.. ask to look at it.. that will tell you if it is replaceable ( easily ) or not.

soundguy

/ GMC Zerk Question #9  
Balljoints should only get a pump or two...overgreasing them can cause damage...

You fill the hole when you push the center in. There could be dirt keeping it from sealing...

/ GMC Zerk Question
Balljoints should only get a pump or two...overgreasing them can cause damage...

You fill the hole when you push the center in. There could be dirt keeping it from sealing...

Agreed, but the grease only stops coming out with the pin depressed. Should be the other way around.