GM's Windshield washer recall

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I know DP, started a post about this which turned into the usual brand loyalty fight. But I just found out that you can't even opt out of the recall. The thing that really infuriates me is that I use this feature alot and it cost more than $100 for the option. Has anyone found any other solution for this other than disabling it? Also are the dealerships just pulling the fuse or what?

Matt:mad:

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #2  
Don't have a clue what you are talking about. I have GM cars. No recall.

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #4  
From what I hear from the few I know that own GM cars you must participate in the recall. One contacted a lawyer and there is a class action suit being started. I usually do not like lawyers but I feel this is a good thing because it sets a prescience for future such recalls. I would refuse to have it done if mine. From what I understand from my reading and from my friend they pull the entire unit from the vehicle.

The one kicker is if your car does have a fire you are screwed. The guy said the lawyer told him that if something happens to a object you own that was part of a recall insurance can deny your claim.

Good luck.

Chris

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #5  
There is no such thing as a "mandatory" recall. GM cannot force you to have the work done. Even if you bring it in for something else, I seriously doubt that they would REMOVE something from YOUR car without consent. They may note that you refused it, but ultimately, it is YOUR car. GM has no legal right to modify or "repair" it without your permission, no matter how bad they want to.

But, you also have to deal with the fallout of your choice. If the car bursts into flames because of it, you will be left holding the bill. Although, it would be a trivial matter to identify what they are doing and do it yourself.

/ GM's Windshield washer recall
I was told by the dealer that if it came in for anything they'd disable it and I had no say. I contacted another dealer and was told the same. The flip side is another company asumed the design an has made an oem direct replacement which cost only $68 and is plug an play. Up here in the unpredictable NE the heater wipers come in super handy. And this recall doesn't apply to all GM vehicles.

Matt

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #7  
Not this issue again...I'll bet this ends up closed within a day.:mad:

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #8  
I was told by the dealer that if it came in for anything they'd disable it and I had no say. I contacted another dealer and was told the same. The flip side is another company asumed the design an has made an oem direct replacement which cost only $68 and is plug an play. Up here in the unpredictable NE the heater wipers come in super handy. And this recall doesn't apply to all GM vehicles.

Matt

This is crazy. If another company can make one for $68 why in the world is GM not putting it in to satisfy the recall?

Chris

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #9  
This is crazy. If another company can make one for $68 why in the world is GM not putting it in to satisfy the recall?

Chris
It could be a temporary fix until they get the parts into the system. Or they could be doing safety testing to prevent having problems with fires like Ford did with their cruise control switches for over 10 years.

/ GM's Windshield washer recall #10  

Matt
Guess who the company is. The same one forced into bankruptcy by the 2008 recall.
And the replacement units also have already been found to have defects. That came out June 15th. So my earlier post to DP shows GM still says they aren't safe to use. http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100615/OEM01/100619915/1147 Ford also dropped their contract with them.