Goldie locks and the 3 bears

/ Goldie locks and the 3 bears #1  

wes1983

Tractor
none
Hi all, first post here. I’ve been in the market for a CUT for a little while and there are a few good options available on the local CL. I’m just looking for a little feedback as to which of these tractors might suit my needs best.

I’ve recently purchased a little over 5 acres and will be building a home in the next couple years. It’s probably about an even split between wooded and cleared, and is relatively flat (think 2% grade). Primary use for the next couple years would be to keep the cleared areas maintained well enough to be able to get around the property. After the house is built would need the tractor to maintain gravel drive (about 300 ft), snow removal, mowing although I may go the zero turn route and odds and ends. I’d like to have a front blade at some point, maybe a loader.

L185DT (4WD)
Price $2,700 ( Includes 4 ft TSC bush hog and 4 ft blade)
2100 hours
Looks to be in pretty good shape and well maintained, diamond tires front and rear seem to have some life left. I like the 4wd, also like that I would have a the implements that I would need initially. Just wondering if the HP is enough.

Kubota tractor and attachments - farm & garden - by owner - sale

L245DT (4WD)
Price $3,000 ( includes danuser auger w/ rear hydro for down pressure)
Hours unk ( email out to the seller currently)
Looks to be in decent shape, maybe not as good of shape as the 185, diamond tires. Don稚 think I really need the auger all that much.. don稚 really know enough about hyrdo痴 fab work to know if moving the hydros to the front for blade or loader would be easy switch or not. Would still need to buy a cutter.

Kubota Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale

L2850 (2WD)
Price $3,850
Hours unk
Looks to be in decent shape, rear tires look pretty worn though. Comes with ROPS, no implements. May be more that I知 looking to spend right now, maybe more tractor than I need or is it?

Kubota L285 - farm & garden - by owner - sale

From what I致e seen in the market these are some good contenders that are in my budget. A little nicer ones with loaders are going for $6-$9 and I just don稚 have that to spend. And I知 thinking this is probably the right time of year to buy, so I kind of want to jump on one. My only hesitation on any of them would be whether or not something with HST would be better, but then again that might be out of my budget. Any thoughts/feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• l2850.jpg
    l2850.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 128
  • l245.jpg
    l245.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 108
  • l185dt.jpg
    l185dt.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
   / Goldie locks and the 3 bears #2  
The l2850 has alot going for it, modern safety features more horse power some good future potential uses. The L245DT has 4wd, mid horse power, i know you say you wouldnt use the auger, but you could sell it on craigslist for probably 300 easy and take that off the price or put towards implement, should cover a blade. The L185DT is cheapest and looks to be the best value, you get implements and 4wd, but lose horsepower. First of all 4wd is a great asset and worth extra in my opinion. The worst thing is the turf tires, Not good traction, and its not like they are golf course quality machines, so kind of useless. The 2850 has has ag rears, and alot more weight, so it may not get stuck as easy as a turf L185DT.

If i was in the position, i would look hard at my future plans. and how many acre i have. Because a little machine can do the same work, just slower. Those 4 ft implements will be slower than a 5 foot brush hog and a 6ft blade on the L2850. But the value really is there on the L185dt, and if traction is an issue, buy new ag tires or industrials and you would still be cheaper than the the 2850 and have 2 implements to match. So my choice, without knowing your future plans is the L185DT. And besides, if you need more horse power down the line, you should have no problem reselling that L185DT for close to what you paid for it. OR you could just get another tractor. its hard to let these small ones go, as they are super maneuverable . But I would jump sooner than later as well, they can fly away pretty quickly.

/ Goldie locks and the 3 bears
Thanks conklin, yeah you're right that i could always upgrade or add down the line.
I updated my original post with my acres/intended use.. must have forgot to include that originally.

/ Goldie locks and the 3 bears #4  
Welcome!

I too went down a similar road about 5 years ago with a small property purchase. I bought a used Iseki and a 48 brush cutter & 5' grader blade. Used primarily for mowing 3+ acre field, driveway maintenance and snow removal. Nice little tractor, but it is a manual shift and no power steering or loader.

As I approach middle age, the back, knees & hips sing out louder and more often. Plus I do not have as much time at home as I used too. As a result, tomorrow I am buying a larger tractor with PS, loader & 60" cutter. I don't like spending hard earned dollars on frivolous things, but I see this it as an investment in myself...plus a new level of fun factor!

My point here is, if at all possible, buy a tractor with at least a loader and 4 wheel drive. Those two things alone will increase usefulness and productivity 10 fold. I would not focus on HP numbers, hours or even age for that matter. Condition & maintenance history are paramount. I would put my 30+ year old, 2200 hr Iseki up against anything based on its functional condition. Still looks good too!

If your handy with a wrench, older used equipment can be had for a fair sum.....but it will require up-keep. Years of neglect and abuse cannot be fixed easily. Tires are not cheap, nor are replacement parts.

/ Goldie locks and the 3 bears #5  
Welcome to TBN!

How's the subway system progressing down there? ;)

Subway still long abandoned. Have a fancy streetcar now though.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully I'll be able to take a look at one of these this weekend.

We live in Mt. Washington now... property that we purchased is in Morrow... you?

/ Goldie locks and the 3 bears #9  
Just over city limits in Anderson
My toys are at mcnicholas

Last edited: