Good Bench Vise Recommendations

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #41  
Way too cool Sawyer Rob...

I have bought a few good vices in preparation for the day when all the pieces fall into place... so they are still in storage.

Did miss out on one I commented on that an elderly friend had... he bought the home in 1922 and the vice had belonged to his Grandfather and the Great Grandfather forged it...

It was very large with the tail or tang that was hinged almost touching the garage floor.... it had no slide as it was pre-slide.

Always admired the handiwork... they had no children and he said if he were to ever get rid of it he would let me know... I stayed in touch and one Christmas didn't get a card which I always did in response to a gift I sent... turned out they both had passed a few months back...

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #42  
Got my Wilton C2 for $40 off CL. PO had been using it to beat horse shoes into coat hooks. :mad: Had no clue what he'd gotten "It was my dads, and he died a few years ago." I rescued it 9 years ago and use it almost constantly.

This was shortly after repaint, but during sheetrocking so it's dirty.

DSC00473.jpg

The Mrs. didn't understand why I was driving across town at 10:30pm for a CL item. Probably still doesn't get it. :)

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #43  
Our vices (opps- vises) make for some good stories. Sawyer Rob, I hear there's a psychologist in Chicago who specializes in CVCD... you might want to visit him? (Compulsive vice collecting disorder). Jim Timber, I totally get your quest at 10:30... in the 60's, I got a phone call at 6:15AM on a Sunday morning from a guy who had seen a car I owned for sale, and wanted to know if it was still available- he wanted it!

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #44  
Unfortunately there are constant "Wanted" ads around here on CraigsList for vises. They specialize in finding old Wiltons. I assume they fix them up and sell them somewhere, but I never see them listed for sale. The ads typically say they pay "up to $300" but they ask for well worn vises, obviously looking to low ball with their offer. The ads typically say the buyer will pick up same day and pay in cash. I'm sure there are countless vises stolen from parents'/grandparents' old shops and barns by 'kids', selling to ads like this, needing a quick buck to feed an addiction. Makes me sad.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #45  
I also have a pittsburg 6" from harbor freight back before they switched to central forge brand. The pittsburg is tough, and has a lifetime warranty, allthough the new central forge ones dont. I cannot break this vise.

All "Pittsburg" tools are made in China.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #46  
All "Pittsburg" tools are made in China.

Yea, says so right on the picture I posted. Nothing wrong with made in China stuff.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #47  
Unfortunately there are constant "Wanted" ads around here on CraigsList for vises. They specialize in finding old Wiltons. I assume they fix them up and sell them somewhere, but I never see them listed for sale. The ads typically say they pay "up to $300" but they ask for well worn vises, obviously looking to low ball with their offer. The ads typically say the buyer will pick up same day and pay in cash. I'm sure there are countless vises stolen from parents'/grandparents' old shops and barns by 'kids', selling to ads like this, needing a quick buck to feed an addiction. Makes me sad.

I see those adds all the time too. Probably selling them on ebay

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #49  
Was not sure where to put this. I did do a search, but not much came up.

My 30 year old 4" vice is showing its age. I keep finding I wish I had a bigger one sometimes. I do use the anvil and pipe holding jaws under the main vice, but was hoping to find something more versatile. Harbor freight is out, at least for this size as one I got my son lasted 3 years before striping out. I dont want to spend a lot of $$$, just wanting something that is good and has worked for folks. I'm guessing I need and 8" model. I have access to Lowe's, Home Depot, TSC. and Harbor Freight as well as ACE and TRU Value. Online is OK if shipping is reasonable.

Can folks recommend what has worked for them? Pictures would help too.

What is not being told here is why you think (or guessing) you need an 8" model. If it's to acquire jaw opening to that extent, there are smaller vices with that kind of throat. I have a 6" and it was plenty strong enough to grab and hold of a 110 lb piece I needed to work. Perhaps you can save yourself a lot of money and get a higher quality smaller vice?

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #50  
Other than MUCH to most of it is junk, that's the darn right truth! lol

SR

The Chinese stuff that is junk is junk because American marketing companies specifically purchased junk to sell here. The Chinese stuff that isn't junk is orbiting earth and on the moon and making Apple rich. The Chinese can make good stuff, we just don't always specify quality when buying from China to resell in the US. Americans generally prefer a low price to quality. If that wasn't so, HF would import from Germany and Switzerland. And, I doubt the Germans and Swiss import the crap we do from China but I know they import Chinese manufacturered iPhones etc.