Good Bench Vise Recommendations

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #62  
Had a snap on vise at a previous employer. Looked just like the bullet style Wilton's.

I would never buy on. At least new that is. I don't like paying a premium for a name and nothing more

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #64  
In 1990 I bought a Wilton Tradesman for my service truck... it had to have pipe jaws and a small anvil.

I do use it regularly and in a pinch for threading pipe to make emergency repairs.

No complaints.... it is the only new vise I have ever bought.

Step Grandfather bought the Ridgid vise as a family present when I was around 13... he was over and needed to do something and found the vise Mom got with trading stamps lacking...

Both my brother's had vises laying on the garage floor that they had been given... first order of business was to at least carriage bolt them to the bench...

A lot of my friends have vises that are not bolted... can't fathom why they never got around to it.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #65  
The anvil on the back of the vise is not there to be used, it's there to sell more vises. If you have to beat on something that's not in the jaws, use a real anvil or find something which isn't made of ductile iron and at it's weakest cross section like the little flat part of a bench vise.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #67  
OK, it was raining pretty hard earlier, and this thread made me do it!!

You know, at some point in your life you have to face reality, so here goes!!

Hello, my name is Sawyer Rob, and I'm addicted to vices!! lol lol

<snip>
BTW, I don't know if this helped my addition any or not? lol

SR
Don't know about your addition, but it is clear that one of your vices is vises.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #68  
Have a NO. 224 1/2 R made by Reed. 4 1/2" jaw. 11" opening. Real handy.

My grandfather gave me a metal work bench he had setting out back he didn't need that his son (my uncle) gave him. A couple months later my uncle came looking for the bench. Knowing it was sitting outside unused. Finding out he had given it to me and I was using it inside he went back to his shop and built a new bench. He owns a machine and welding shop. Had this vise sitting there that he picked up at an auction. Asked my grandfather if I had a vise. When the answer was no he sent it to me. I asked what he was going to put on the new bench. He said new bench gets new vise. This vise was for the bench you have. So that's where I want it. Thanks.

Took some modifications as it was an open slat parts hanger. I added some 3/4" steel between the slats and positioned it to fit the vise. Then covered it with a 10ga top. I have moved the bench with cheater bars trying to loosen something clamped in the vise. It's all one person can do to slide this bench on a concrete floor. Had to sit it in here with the tractor.

/ Good Bench Vise Recommendations #70  
Starrett was in Athol,MA, a once proud manufacturing center northwest of Boston. Now it is a shadow of its former self and mostly a butt of jokes related to the sound of its name.

Yes: When I drove my son to or from his school out in Northfield, Ma., as we passed through, I would often tell him: "Your'n Athol".