Buying Advice Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #21  
I think OSHA or the insurance companies must have changed something or added something because I've seen several nice drill presses in the dump. They all looked like they came from businesses, had the usual "wear safety glasses" type stickers on them. I've already got a nice 1 1/2 HP DP so I didn't bother digging. I'm guessing somebody must be pulling them out and putting them on Craigs list.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #22  
Hi all
Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes in 1/4" or 1/2" plate metal. Which you do you guys suggest and what capacity I should buy. I want it to last for long time and I am not frequent user of the tool

Any inputs are appreciated

Ganesh

Good, cheap, and last a long time go together like BP oil and water. It's not going to happen. I have a Jet 17" floor drill press I bought in the mid-90's It gets a lot of use, some rare abuse and is a good machine. I can't speak about the current ones though. 200-RPM is its slowest speed which is too slow for 1/2" bits.

lets see.. 'good' 'cheap' 'long life'

:) those don't work.

drilling plate is also a function of good drill bits.

guess it's not something you could torch or plasma cutter out is it? does it have to be precise?

soundguy

I'd hazard a guess if the OP had a plasma cutter and/or a torch, he could afford a decent drill press. Otherwise he better find a good, cheap, and reliable fab shop (another oxymoron) or a buddy to burn his plate.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #24  
When Agri Supply first came to Florence, SC in 1984? I bought 2 new foreign made drill presses from them. The floor standing model for larger slower cutting and the bench top small model for smaller faster drilling. I have drilled 1" plate using 3/4 bits, 1/2 in plate with 1" bits, have used them both pretty extensively over the years and both are still in good working order. The HF drill presses are basically the same thing.

I agree, there are better drill presses and love to restore and use old iron, but deals are not always out there so we do what we have to do to get through the times. If you can't find a good deal on a used one, the HF model will work. And if you go to Craftsman or some other big box brand, you are still getting a HF tool with different paint and decals.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #25  
I've had my share of, had to have quickly to do the job tools from HF. Dumb tools like spring compressors, presses and the like are OK. I had to completely re-weld my shop press though.Hyd. cyl. are so so.(their cylinder finish at the microscopic level is not as good-wears out seals faster) Electric die grinder OK after replacing twice-not as smooth as others but good enough at the price.For my really HD stuff-I use air anyways. As an observation after many years using my shop tools and fabricating numerous other "tools" and what not, horsepower must mean something else to the Chinese. I have several bench grinders throughout the shop: some 1/2hp, some 1/3. As you know, you'd be hard pressed to find an american made bench grinder today. Anyway, the 1/2hp HF is a joke, it can be stopped or overheated by what I would consider mild pressure grinding, Black and Decker 1/3hp runs circles around that one. An OLD, and I mean OLD Delta stand model that I bought 30 years ago at a high school auction- can't be stopped. You can put your body weight into that grinding and it doesn't slow it down.(1/2 hp on steroids). Mind you, the delta was many years old then as they were selling their Old equipment to get new. My advise, hit the garage /estate sales hard for older, better equipment.Think of tools as an investment. When you're gone, your kids will love them knowing they were dads good tools.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #26  
I'd hazard a guess if the OP had a plasma cutter and/or a torch, he could afford a decent drill press. Otherwise he better find a good, cheap, and reliable fab shop (another oxymoron) or a buddy to burn his plate.

maybee maybee not.

I have a decent torch.. but a cheap drill press..

soundguy

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes
As I am the original poster, I have Hobart Plasma cutter good for upto 1/2" plate. I need good looking holes as the plate is going to go on Engine of my old truck to bolt oil filer brackets.

I do not want to do with Hand drill, it just takes too long. HF floor model with 20% off coupon should be able to get it for ~150 bucks which is 3/4 hp and 16 speed. If that is good enough I will go for it.

What do you all think of that one? I had good and bad experiences with HF tool, mostly electrical power tools were bad, but all Welded metal stands and air tools are holding up.

Ganesh

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #28  
Unless I had the money AND NEED for a really good drill press, that is what I would buy, if you go with Craftsman or any other cheaper brand, you are basically getting the same thing.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #29  
I do not want to do with Hand drill, it just takes too long. HF floor model with 20% off coupon should be able to get it for ~150 bucks which is 3/4 hp and 16 speed. If that is good enough I will go for it.

Lots of folks on woodworking forums report that is a decent drill press and unbeatable for the money. Most stuff from Craftsman is essentially the same but for lots more money.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #30  
Lots of folks on woodworking forums report that is a decent drill press and unbeatable for the money. Most stuff from Craftsman is essentially the same but for lots more money.
Craftsman is not the only "American" company selling Taiwon made drill presses. Delta does the same thing too.

I try to buy American made but if I can find a tool at HB for half of what Craftsman costs and the chuck and bearings for example seem the same, why spend more for the name?