Buying Advice Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes
This is what finally I settled with

12 Speed Bench Top Drill Press

The way to adjust is by moving the belts on pulleys. Is that the only way to adjust the speed. I thought adjusting the speed will be just dialing. But I have to move the belts. May thatz what 100 bucks will buy me.

A question on how long should I take to make 1/2" holes on a 1/4" plate. I was taking too long may be my drill bit was not sharp or something.

Any advise please.

Ganesh

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #32  
What speed do you have the drill set at? Should be the lowest available. Are you using oil and a new carbide bit?

What speed do you have the drill set at? Should be the lowest available. Are you using oil and a new carbide bit?

Speed was set some where in 950 -1000, drill bit was from black & decker and I didnot use it much. I did use oil

Still took a long time

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #34  
Speed was set some where in 950 -1000, drill bit was from black & decker and I didnot use it much. I did use oil

Still took a long time

for a 1/2" hole in steel, that's probably double (or more) what you want. 500~ish rpm with some sort of lubricant/coolant. if i am just drilling one or two holes, i use whatever is handy - wd-40, penetrating oil, pb blaster... really any fluid is better than none in a pinch. even a squirt gun full of water will beat nothing at all.

the 7mm key for the downfeed handle in my new (used) rf-30 just arrived. i threw a 3/4 bit (old and poorly sharpened freehand) in and bored a nice smooth clean hole with it at 150rpm. made nice spiral shavings, which is a good indication that it is drilling correctly. small chips are ok to a point, but small filings is a bad sign.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #35  
I have essentially that same press under a store brand name.

I use cutting oil and good hss or better bits.. lowest drill speed. 1/4" mild steel should drill thru, in way les than a minute.

remember to center punch the metal so the drill doesn't walk or bind.

use a drip or squirt oiler.

soundguy

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #37  
I do not have too many holes to drill but when I need I need. But I am just tired with my drills, I have dewalt one a good one but I run out of patience. you said 200 rpm, that sounds too low and is it good to that low for metal.

Thanks though

Ganesh

fwiw & imho,
Consider a Starrett Feeds and Speeds Chart. Obviously does not have to be Starrett but a Feeds and Speeds Chart/Poster is good for anyone looking for proper tool life, finish, and performance.

My suggestion is to forget a drill press and buy an old Bridgeport Knee Mill. Never was a man who had access to a good mill that wanted anything to do with a drill press... I learned a trade on $3K Powermatic Drilling Centers and progressed to second hand, bought for less than the drill presses, belt head Bridgeports that made you wonder why they ever made a Drill Press. Just an opinion...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

Btw, Is your name actually Ganesh? I only ask as they are large importer of foreign lathes, machine tools, etc... Ironic.

Btw, Is your name actually Ganesh? I only ask as they are large importer of foreign lathes, machine tools, etc... Ironic.[/QUOTE]

Matt

Thanks for the info, yes my name is Ganesh and Ganesh is the name of famous Indian Elephant GOD. You will have too many Ganesh's in India

Ganesh

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #39  
This is what finally I settled with

12 Speed Bench Top Drill Press

The way to adjust is by moving the belts on pulleys. Is that the only way to adjust the speed. I thought adjusting the speed will be just dialing. But I have to move the belts. May thatz what 100 bucks will buy me.

A question on how long should I take to make 1/2" holes on a 1/4" plate. I was taking too long may be my drill bit was not sharp or something.

Any advise please.

Ganesh

If you get a variable speed drill press for <$100, it will come from someplace cheaper than China. Africa maybe?

Still took a long time

Please define too long? 950 - 1,000 RPM is too fast. Per my Machinery's Handbook tables I use, a 1/2" drill bit with a cutting speed of 60 FPM (Feet Per Minute) has an RPM of 459; 70 FPM translates to 535 RPM. These numbers are conservative and I'm basing my use of them on 1010 grade steel. Even at 100 FPM, the RPM is in the low 700's.

My suggestion is to forget a drill press and buy an old Bridgeport Knee Mill. Never was a man who had access to a good mill that wanted anything to do with a drill press... I learned a trade on $3K Powermatic Drilling Centers and progressed to second hand, bought for less than the drill presses, belt head Bridgeports that made you wonder why they ever made a Drill Press. Just an opinion...

Regards, Matt Garrett.

Since the OP was looking for a cheap drill press; I doubt a Bridgeport knee mill is in his budget.

/ Good/cheap drill press for making 1/2" holes #40  
mjncad said:
Since the OP was looking for a cheap drill press; I doubt a Bridgeport knee mill is in his budget.

mjncad,
You are likely right, however, have you seen what old belt drive Bridgeports often go for? I've seen them offered by widows just to get them out of the garage. That was a one time thing, however, there are a ton of them around and thought he might want a bit of food for thought.

Many, many direct answers about drill presses. One suggestion to consider another option. Might be out in left field or it might open up a new world of capability to him. In short I dunno, however, I like going into a situation with as much information as possible.

NEVER met a guy who did not fall in love with a decent Bridgeport. Lathes are neat but a little more specific and have a steeper learning curve...

In short just a thought...