Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #24,851  
Another pic of the boom pole/crane, showing the whole thang (sans top reinforcement rod and the ears for the top link):

IMG_1590.jpg
Sure didn't take long for stuff to start accumulating on top of them horses ... lol ...

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #24,852  
very nice RS; you really are skilled as a welder, which means you also have to be able
to visualize how things should look before you start, and for sure as you go. Some people build houses, you build machinery.
Drew,

Thanks for kind words ...

I think the actual reality is that I'm a good example of how easy it is to something look good with a glue gun (MIG) ... lol ...

I'm mostly relying on a (relatively) small amount of instruction from a neighbor, who is a certified (structural) welder ...

I could really benefit from taking a class, or just some independent study on my own ... neither of which have I really made time for ... maybe this winter ...

Having said that, my welder neighbor does think I might have some potential ... and not much I have welded has broken, which is always a good sign ...

Am hoping some time this winter to fire up my welder for the first time. I'll put the laptop with your pictures in front of it so it knows what to do...:D
... lol ... make sure the pics are lo-res ...

Seriously though, crank that sucker up ... you'll have a ball with it ;)

Oh if it were that easy...
Biggest thing I've found (after being told it was so) to make it easier and produce something that is passable, is to get in a comfortable position before you pull the trigger or strike an arc ...

If it means lying on my back on a grinding dust-covered floor or curling up in a ball so be it ...

I've also learned that I cannot weld with my glasses on ... my vision (or my prescription) has gotten to the point where I can't clearly see things when close up (within 18 to 24 inches) if I leave them on.

If I remember to do both it tends to go better than if I don't ...

edit: upon further examination, please tell me you don't sit on that chair...perhaps you could weld a reinforcement ;)
... lol ... it's starting to get hard to get back up out of it, once I've sat down in it ... so I guess I'm going to have to do something ...

/ Good morning!!!! #24,853  
Roasted and peeled my Hatch and poblano chiles yesterday on the grill. Still not totally pleased with the results. So we'll eat these and try again since we harvested more poblano yesterday. Maybe I should ask the Texas Forum what I'm doing wrong.

Might want to ask one of our New Mexico neighbors. I haven't done it for at least a decade, but I remember roasting some on the BBQ pit, and some on top of the gas stove. (We usually just buy the canned hatch green chiles.) Love them with chicken.

Does anyone ever listen to the Crossroads Festival reruns on VH1? They were put on by Eric Clapton yearly last decade. Even though they are very old, they still have some of the best guitar blues/rock a person could ever hope to hear. I record them and then have them to play in the background when needed.

/ Good morning!!!! #24,854  
Good evening all. 64F this morning, high of 78F low humidity, and breezy. Yesterday BIL and I mowed and trimmed the whole lawn prepping for open house. Wife and I went to visit relatives during Open House, real estate agent said 100 people showed up all but 3 said no basement no interest. :confused2: :eek:

/ Good morning!!!! #24,855  
Does anyone ever listen to the Crossroads Festival reruns on VH1? They were put on by Eric Clapton yearly last decade. Even though they are very old, they still have some of the best guitar blues/rock a person could ever hope to hear. I record them and then have them to play in the background when needed.

I recorded most of them years ago on tape, but now most of my old VHS concerts have been recorded to DVD. I have several of the Crossroads, as well as a lot of Austin City Limits and Sound Stage. There are still some good shows on the AXS channel too. I got a really good John Butler Trio show last week. If I see something I think I might like I will set the DVR to record it. If I like it I will record it to a DVD, editing out the commercials.

But you are right about the Clapton shows. He brought some of the best ever to bend a string together.

Larro

/ Good morning!!!! #24,856  
2014-09-22, 0325

57 right now...high of 59 with a 30% chance of rain.

Nice weekend...now back to work.

/ Good morning!!!! #24,857  
53F @ 04:30 and cloudy ... with a high of only 59F predicted for today.

The cold front has come through apparently.

Rained Sunday morning and then was sunny and very breezy most of the day ... rained again, just before I came down from the shop an hour or so ago.

Did a little metal work - grinding and wire wheeling various things - before it got dark out ... and spent some time cleaning up the shop and putting tools away.

Also tacked up the four pieces of 6" x 1/4" plate (in two pairs) that will serve as the "towers" for the jaw hinge pins and hydraulic cylinder pivots ... then laid out the holes and drilled/cut them:

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Then split the plates back apart:

IMG_1596.jpg

The extra, large (round) holes towards the bottom in the center two plates are for routing the cylinder hydraulic hoses up into the towers/masts. Those holes will have a short section (an inch or so) of 2" Schedule 80 pipe welded into them.

/ Good morning!!!! #24,858  
Are you a newlywed or just acting like one?:D
Good one :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I can't lay claim to the former ... so I'll have to plead guilty to the latter ... :D

What you are missing is that it wasn't her idea.
Ah yes ... whatever was I thinking ... :rolleyes:

You'd think after 30+ years I'd know better by now ... ;)

/ Good morning!!!! #24,859  
Insurance for him falling out of a tree?
Make sure you are no way liable if he gets hurt.
Yup ... good point ...

The release/hold harmless agreement as mentioned previously.

Wife and I were talking this evening ... the idea of meeting with his parents came up.

The other thing that came up was the wife sez:

"Get that weed eater fired up and running ... and give him to me ... I'll keep him busy cleaning out the (driveway) circle ..."

You can just see where this is going ... :rolleyes:

/ Good morning!!!! #24,860  
The ever present dangers of deer acting as vectors for ticks transmitting Lyme disease and Rocky Mtn. Fever should be heavily emphasized. Color photos, fatality rates, chronic incurable conditions. :D
LOL ... yeah ... probably should see if he's at all aware ...

Seems like a nice kid ... but he's young ... and probably believes he's immortal like most of 'em do ...