Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use??

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #11  
Being in a garage is no guarantee of longer tire life. If the garage has electric motors that produce ozone, all rubber ages quickly.

My thought is that good tires are cheep insurance. The risk of a casualty may be small, but should one occur the consequence could be severe.

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #13  
I had 5 year old tires on my flatbed that looked new. Loaded 14 rolls hay and by the time I ran 15 miles the tread had come off of two tires. The spare tire's tread separated from the carcass without ever touching the ground. Don't take a chance on old tires no matter how good they look.

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #14  
Here's a link to advice from Michelin

Michelin tires for cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs: Michelin Tires

It's a PDF so couldn't copy / paste
The key point from them is:
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any
tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with
new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached
the legal wear limit.

And I can copy and paste. :D

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #16  
Interesting perspective...........

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #17  
I'm surprised that a tire manufacturer recommends the later of the 6-10 year range on tires. You would think they would say 6-8 max so you buy tires more often...

I stick to my original statement, RUN THEM! :thumbsup:

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use?? #19  
I get my money's worth out of tires. I would normally be inclined to run them. The only reservation I'd have is they are Goodyears. If you buy new tires spring for a set of Michelins. They made a huge improvement in handling on my F250SC. Got better wear too.

/ Goodyear Wrangler tires too old to use??
I'm surprised that a tire manufacturer recommends the later of the 6-10 year range on tires. You would think they would say 6-8 max so you buy tires more often...

I stick to my original statement, RUN THEM! :thumbsup:

Dmace, you will glad to know that I had the "new" rims & tires put on my truck today. I had to order a new set of lug nuts since I didn't get the original lug nuts with the tire set. I only drove it from the tire shop to the house (about 3 miles) but it seems to ride better. The rims & tires I pulled off were almost down to the tread wear indicators. These "new" ones have about 1/2 the tread on them. I'm gonna run them and see what happens. The first hint of any tire failure and I'll be shopping for some brand "new" ones. I only bought this set for the 5 spoke stock alloy rims, I've always liked them much better than the "teardrop" shaped rims that I just took off of my truck. Maybe tomorrow I'll add a pic of them. They look great on the truck!! Now to get it in the paint shop for a new paint job.