Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #71  
A gooseneck does not take up too much room in the bed. My 5th wheel hitch does though... Can't load much in the bed though...

My 5th wheel pulls so nicely though; much better than a comparable weight bumper/pull behind. My 5th wheel is only about 7500lbs. I have towed 7000lbs on a bumper pull. The 5th wheel just tows sooooooo much nicer.

I heard that!

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #72  
A gooseneck does not take up too much room in the bed. My 5th wheel hitch does though... Can't load much in the bed though...

My 5th wheel pulls so nicely though; much better than a comparable weight bumper/pull behind. My 5th wheel is only about 7500lbs. I have towed 7000lbs on a bumper pull. The 5th wheel just tows sooooooo much nicer.
It does if you want to haul a ton or 2 in the bed at the same time you need to pull the trailer.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #73  
My one and only experience with a 5th wheel was not plesant. It was a 36' camper weight 14,000# being pulled with a 2007 Dmax 3500. I believe the issue with campers is the position of the axles but the thing teetered a lot and made the truck feel as if it were riding waves.

The 25' 25,000# GN I had and pulled behind my 1999 F-350 PowerStroke did much better. I think the truck was sprung heavier but the real difference was the axle placement on the trailer. On the GN they were 80% or more toward the rear.

I currently have a bumper pull and do not think I will ever go back. To each his own.

Chris

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #74  
Mine rides and handles really nice. It is a 27', no slides, only 7500lbs. I stayed shorter and lighter on purpose. Didn't want the weight, nor the resulting fuel mileage.

It probably varies by length, manufacturer, load distribution, truck, and truck wheelbase.

I have towed the same trailer(7000lb bumper pull, pretty much maxxed out) with my longbed 2500, and once with a shortbed 2500. My longbed xcab towed much nicer, although manuevering was limited.

My one and only experience with a 5th wheel was not plesant. It was a 36' camper weight 14,000# being pulled with a 2007 Dmax 3500. I believe the issue with campers is the position of the axles but the thing teetered a lot and made the truck feel as if it were riding waves.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #75  
I still have my original bumper pull flatbed. I have had a pallet of block in the truck, and two on the trailer. Keystone "Country Manor", at 2740/pallet.

It does if you want to haul a ton or 2 in the bed at the same time you need to pull the trailer.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #76  
A feature I'm not willing to give up with for a goose neck.

Bumper-pull trailers are great for short hauls - IMO. For me; a short haul is 1,000 miles - 500mi round trip.

If you're hauling 10,000lbs over 5,000 miles 'cross country thru mountain passes and secondary roads - trust me - you DO NOT want to be doing it with a bumper-pull.

I have done 2 trips like that (8-9,000 miles) and my neck can still feel the jerking and bucking of that #@@##@ bumper-pull trailer!!

AKfish

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #77  
Bumper-pull trailers are great for short hauls - IMO. For me; a short haul is 1,000 miles - 500mi round trip.

If you're hauling 10,000lbs over 5,000 miles 'cross country thru mountain passes and secondary roads - trust me - you DO NOT want to be doing it with a bumper-pull.

I have done 2 trips like that (8-9,000 miles) and my neck can still feel the jerking and bucking of that #@@##@ bumper-pull trailer!!

AKfish

I don't like going 9 miles with a 10k bumper pull.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #78  
It's hard to compare a 5th wheel camper to almost anything else except a large enclosed trailer. The broad/tall sides make it act completely different, as well as the weight distribution being different.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #79  

AKfish
You also don't want to take a GN/5th wheel trailer on some of the WV roads I've been on. A BP trailer won't be as much problem on narrow winding roads if it is a close match to the size of the truck pulling it. A GN trailer will cut inside your turn on a winding road. Guardrails are right at the edge of the road in many places and it isn't hard to scrape one. Some secondary roads in WV, OH, PA, VA aren't even wide enough for a dually to keep its wheels in the lane. It takes matching the wheelbase of the trailer to the wheelbase and turning radius of the the truck to do it right.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #80  
That is the only comparison I have though.

I tow a variety of things. Our 5th wheel is a mid size 27', only 7500lbs. My flatbed is a 7000lb dual axle bumper pull. My utility trailer is a 5x8 single axle light weight jobber. Our Scout Troop has an 14' dual axle enclosed trailer(7000lb gvwr).

The 5th wheel is the smoothest to tow by far.

It's hard to compare a 5th wheel camper to almost anything else except a large enclosed trailer. The broad/tall sides make it act completely different, as well as the weight distribution being different.