Got a grapple, installed my diverter today.

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #11  
Looks great LD1. You are going to love the heck out of those front implements.

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #12  
Good fit for your tractor. I have the Tomahawk grapple bucket and it's give good service. I wanted a smooth bucket for my Ratchet Rake and a grapple for picking up debris is the reason for the combo instead of a root grapple.

img_1105 (1).jpg

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #14  
Aw.. Now its dirty!

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today.
I havent had much seat time with it, but one thing I forgot to mention.....that concerns me....

I am worried about not having enough clamp force. I never paid attention, until I hooked up hoses backwards when installing the diverter (then then curl wouldnt work).....but it appears that the MX5100 valve ONLY has regen position for dump.

Which is no big deal for the loader bucket, as you hardly ever need alot of dumping "power".

But that means I had to plumb the grapple so that to close it....is the same motion as dump (with trigger squeezed) and to open is same as curl. Thats opposite of how I wanted it. I wanted "grab" to be pulling toward me. But that would make it so to open the grapple, using dump regen. Which regen just dont work to retract a cylinder.

Now having the controls backwards from what I wanted is no big deal. My concern is that a 2" cylinder with 1" rod will lack clamp force because my only option is regen.

A 2" cylinder should give me about 7850# of force extending.....but in regen I only net ~5800#. Means I only have about 74% of the power the grapple was designed for. Again, without more seat time....dont know if that is gonna be a significant issue or not.

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #16  
I havent had much seat time with it, but one thing I forgot to mention.....that concerns me....

I am worried about not having enough clamp force. I never paid attention, until I hooked up hoses backwards when installing the diverter (then then curl wouldnt work).....but it appears that the MX5100 valve ONLY has regen position for dump.

Which is no big deal for the loader bucket, as you hardly ever need alot of dumping "power".

But that means I had to plumb the grapple so that to close it....is the same motion as dump (with trigger squeezed) and to open is same as curl. Thats opposite of how I wanted it. I wanted "grab" to be pulling toward me. But that would make it so to open the grapple, using dump regen. Which regen just dont work to retract a cylinder.

Now having the controls backwards from what I wanted is no big deal. My concern is that a 2" cylinder with 1" rod will lack clamp force because my only option is regen.

A 2" cylinder should give me about 7850# of force extending.....but in regen I only net ~5800#. Means I only have about 74% of the power the grapple was designed for. Again, without more seat time....dont know if that is gonna be a significant issue or not.

Aha, now I know why you asked me that question. On my Kioti main joystick valve, dump has 2 positions, the first to the right is full powered dump, and further to the right is regen dump. I have heard that some of Kubota valves only have a regen dump.

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #17  
I have no idea the pounds of clamping force mine has but it will crush a heavy 55 gallon barrel like it was an aluminum soda can. I can clamp on a section of tree and all the tines will easily bite in two inches, if I not careful. My "system" is electric over hydraulic and there is no feedback when I clamp - so I've had to learn to gently apply clamping force.

/ Got a grapple, installed my diverter today. #18  
If you have any trouble holding your hoses up, this what I did.

Attachments

• Grabber 002.JPG
    Grabber 002.JPG
    695.5 KB · Views: 343
  • Grabber 008.JPG
    Grabber 008.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 332

I am ashamed to admit I made a mathematical error :mur:

Well sort of.

5800# would be my retract force....NOT my clamp force.

As it turns out, with a 2" cylinder, and 1" rod.....I am trying to extend the cylinder with 7850# and trying to retract it with 5800# at the same time. Net result is I am only generating 2050# of force out of my clamp cylinder :confused2: Which would explain why it feels so weak.

Given the roughly 4:1 leverage the lid has over the cylinder.....I am probably only getting 500# at the teeth. As opposed to 2000#+ like it should have.

I guess I am gonna run my diverter off the lift.

This is all I can do to a pine deck board
IMG_20160811_133819183-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160811_133758105-1600x900.jpg