Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
So this is a recently abandoned railway in my town. We have hundreds of them here in the rust belt. Unfortunately, with their abandonment comes a lack of maintenance. I would think they would still have to maintain this, but owner tells me they won’t.
So I have been asked to remove this log jamb.
I have my ideas, but thought some backround information would be helpful.

There is no access from the RR bridge. It is closed off and off limits, so debris cannot be removed from there.
On the right side of the picture, the land you see is mush. You cannot realistically get equipment to the edge of the river from there.
On the left side of the picture, there is a “ledge” of ground. You can get a pickup down there, but not much bigger without cutting/building an access path.

1706047156525.jpeg

My thought was to rent a crane with a clamshell bucket and an operator and have him “grapple” the logs and swing them over into a waiting debris truck. The crane would sit where you see the foot tracks in the foreground.

Water is fairly deep and current fairly strong. The width of the water from the center of the rail bridge center support to the edge of each bank is about 50’ of water.

Thoughts?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #2  
I highly doubt that’s a private stream by the size of it. That would put it in conservation control I would think. Interesting job you are looking at though

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #4  
I always thought the Corps of Engineers managed that stuff. But I guess they’d hire contractors wouldn’t they? Duh.

Can you drag stuff out and untangle it and let it float downstream? Or does it all have to be pulled out of the water?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #7  
I highly doubt that’s a private stream by the size of it. That would put it in conservation control I would think. Interesting job you are looking at though
Exactly my thought too, who “owns” it and who has permission to issue permits for the job? Natural Resources office?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #8  
If the riverbank will support the crane, your idea seems the simplest.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
You are correct. The Conservancy “manages” it and they are the Customer. They are in control of how it is to be done.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #10