Got mosquitoes eh?

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #21  
Ya'll think the critters are gonna be fun for you.Here in central Alabam we didn't even get a good frost this winter.The critters are already at in a big way even with the temps rising early (high today was sapposed to be 87) AAAH!! Well maybe this year I will invest in "repelant companies" can only stand to make a few $/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Lil' Paul

/ Got mosquitoes eh?
Bigfinn: Not many ticks around here. At least one bug that we're short on. I've never seen one on me or the dogs in the three years I've been here. My wife grew up nearby.

Last summer a neighbour a said that a cow moose was hit on the highway and was infested with ticks. Maybe people who keep livestock see more ticks.

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #23  
Here in SE Massachusetts, we get our share of airborne pests as well. It starts in early april with herring flies (probobly a variant of the black fly. We call them herring flies I suppose because they arrive with the spawning herring). Then the mosquitos, some of which could carry a small animal away. We also get tons of deer flies and horse flies. But the real fun comes from the the horse flies on steroids. I'm not kidding when I say they get to be almost 2 inches long. When they bite, they take a BIG chunk of flesh away. I once whacked one with a shoe, and it still managed to fly away. It seems that we are never lacking for annoying insects. And the bastards have the whole day covered....Mosquitos early morning and late evening, horse and deer flies during the hot part of the day.

The wonderful state of Taxachusetts will come and spray for mosquitos, but you have to call and ask each week. They come weekly and spray plus at certain times they will put pellets in standing water. It is beautiful for a day or two after they spray. God, I hate bugs!!

Mike.

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #24  
Here in Pamlico County, NC we have named them the county bird. Usually aren't too bad until later in summer but we have a whole bunch left over from all the hurricanes last year. Bunch of'm carried my dog off last night. My wife has to use one of those bug suits to work in her gardens. Can't wait for the yellow flies to come out!

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #25  
Hey, at least you've got someone else that will come and spray./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The only way it'll get done around here is if I do it./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif So, it's a continuous battle with the fire ants, red wasps, yellow jackets, mud daubers, mosquitos, and spiders. And I'm sure I like them about as much as you do./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #26  
Yeah, I got attacked by 5 or 6 wasps this morning. They had built a nest in the loader tube. I used it last Thursday and this morning it's got a wasp nest in it. The battle has begun...

Mark

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #27  
It's that time of year again. The only reason I didn't crank up the spray rig today was the 20-30mph wind.

Bird

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #28  
Can't be as bad as a pack of carpenter bees on all four sides of my house, can it?? Well, they are on 6 walls, to give you an idea. They can't pick from any of the, oh, couple thousand acres of woods around here, or the old shed, or even the barn… but rather find the only coated log house around?

Problem is they are about 20' in the air, munching up near the roof, so I can't get close enough to many of them... So far, I got one of about a hundred, and that one came down to earth. <<munchmunch>> They are just too fast! Last year I got some early in the morning while they were in their holes, though!

Good luck,

msig.gif

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #29  
Yeah, I guess you've got me beat on that one. We've had them here, too, but we just last fall had all the exterior wood repainted and that slows them down for a year or two. Pity there isn't a 3-point bee exterminator...

Mark

/ Got mosquitoes eh? #30  
Well I figure some device with a long, flexible hose with a big mouth opening on it to suck the little buggers up would do. As for exterior being wood, that's all is is... 'log as can bee' (hyuck hyuck) but stained and sealed pretty heavily. They aren't supposed to like the sealed wood, but like I said they picked it over thousands of trees within a 2-3 second flight by bee. Maybe they have a thing with causing damage to things that cost money to fix... a tree doesn't get billed to have its trim board replaced does it? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig.gif