Got my dream machine yesterday JD4510

/ Got my dream machine yesterday JD4510
Thanks, used it a couple hours this am freezing moving firewood around.
I also have an ongoing tree job I’m working on and I am really glad I have a larger (for me) machine. I am having to buck large oak and poplar trees at 8 foot lengths and then drive them about 200 yards up and around the owners house. He only has an 9 foot opening around the side and it leads to his drain field so no access via truck and trailer. It will end up being a lot of firewood for me and lots to sell. Thank goodness for pallet forks, wish I could afford a grapple. Maybe in a few years.
I am very impressed how strong and capable this machine is. It’s lifting logs with ease I was concerned about.

/ Got my dream machine yesterday JD4510 #32  
Thanks, used it a couple hours this am freezing moving firewood around.
I also have an ongoing tree job I知 working on and I am really glad I have a larger (for me) machine. I am having to buck large oak and poplar trees at 8 foot lengths and then drive them about 200 yards up and around the owners house. He only has an 9 foot opening around the side and it leads to his drain field so no access via truck and trailer. It will end up being a lot of firewood for me and lots to sell. Thank goodness for pallet forks, wish I could afford a grapple. Maybe in a few years.
I am very impressed how strong and capable this machine is. It痴 lifting logs with ease I was concerned about.
Yep! The pallet forks are more useful than the bucket. I move allot of equipment, loaded skids, etc. In addition, I cut & split about 8 cords a year. It is so much easier to to drive the forks underneath a log & curl/lift up than to chain to the grab hook that I welded to the bucket. I used to want a grapple, but the forks work so well that I don't any more. BTW, be sure to have plenty of ballast. I usually have the JD48 backhoe mounted. If you do not have a backhoe, I would put on a good 1000 lbs.

BTW, where in northern VA are you? I used to live in Leesburg.

I have a Ballast box but I have the standard one from JD I need to add the extension to it for a bit more weight.

I have lived in Manassas (Prince William County) for the last 19 years.

/ Got my dream machine yesterday JD4510 #34  
I have a Ballast box but I have the st
I would definitely add the extension. I never feel as if I have too much ballast. That 460 loader can easily pick up 3000 lbs. With insufficient ballast, your tires, bearings & steering gear will be much more loaded than it would be without ballast. If I have the room and am loading the bucket/forks heavy, I often extend my backhoe to move the it's weight as far behind the axle as I can to effectively increase the ballast weight - it makes a difference. And the way it is, the 460 backhoe weighs 1500 lbs.!

I am going to order them today, thanks for the reminder. I am amazed at how effortlessly the 460 lifts things.

/ Got my dream machine yesterday JD4510 #36  
Don't know what the extension or ballast box will cost you, but why not consider getting a box blade? Very useful implement. In addition, easy to weld a pipe or tray so you can increase it's weight. A 6' box blade which would be a good size for your tractor weighs almost 500 lbs. Would not be difficult to improvise something to get that weight up to 1000 lbs.

BTW - thank you for your service!!!

Thank you but I am just lucky the United States Marine Corps would have me.

Now I am going to have to research sealing my ballast box top, it’s going to be too heavy to roll around my garage with the extension. Not sure how she will hold up outside, I have sand in it and I’m afraid it will hold moisture and rust out.