Got my tractor!

/ Got my tractor! #1  

RusselF

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Hello from cold Canada...
Just got my Kubota yesterday. Trucked it in myself from this guys place over 120km away
from my farm, at night, in a snowstorm on ice covered 401 highway. Crazy drive, trailer was
a tad too small, but I made it home before midnight. I heard about this site from an old friend
who now lives in California. He has a Kubota B26, with the backhoe. I had asked him what
he thought, and he spoke highly of the Kubota. I found a nice, low hour 2011 L3400, with
the front loader, and just unloaded it today. Still has the grey oil filter, so first job will be
to change the engine oil. It is the gear model, not the HST, but I like that, being an old
school guy who first learned to drive on manual transmission vehicles.
I lurked about and read a lot of useful info on this site, so figured, I would register.
I have a small forest of a few acres at my farm, and I am really looking forward to being
able to use my Kubota, instead of being the human tractor, and hauling tree-trunks thru the
snow by hand! (Given this crazy polar vortex, we have had almost two months of minus 20
celsius nights, and we've used a garage full of firewood... ) But since the wood-pile is gone,
I have room to park my newly aquired Kubota. Thanx to all on this site who posted technical
comments and reviews of their machines.
Once I learn some more about the Kubota, I will post a mini-review about it.
One thing, I am quite imprressed that they can start up in minus 20 temperatures... (More
than I can do some mornings...)
- Rus.

/ Got my tractor! #2  
:welcome:
To TBN from Alabama where we are getting our first snowfall today. How many hours on the L3400? Did he give you all the manuals and did he have records of all the maintenance?

/ Got my tractor! #3  
Welcome from another Canadian.

Al

/ Got my tractor! #4  
You should have made the requisit pictures of the whole event. Were you MTO legal? I own a Duramax and can't even pull anything legal anymore on account of the costs! I have the truck and dump trailer yet it's still cheaper to hire someone for the occassional heavy move!

A tractor may start in the cold, but do yourself a favour and if it does not have one, get a block heater. It's the first thing I do when I get something that isn't so equipped. That massive temperature rise in the pistons isn't a good thing. Too many dissimilar materials in there!

And yes, freaking cold! My underground water supply line has froze in the first time in almost fifty years!

/ Got my tractor! #5  
Welcome, Rus, from Toronto and Kawagama Lake!

You will love your Kubota. I have had one for six years now, and I do seriously enjoy it. Also, yes, it does start when it is very cold. I have started up at -30 myself.

However, I did get a block heater, and during this cold spell, I have left it plugged in 24/7. Up to the cottage this weekend to blow snow again.

/ Got my tractor! #7  
Congratulations! nothing like a new tractor on a trailer (even a used good one). Kubota is an excellent brand. Good Luck!

/ Got my tractor! #8  
Welcome! I got my L3400 HST a little over a year ago and love it. The only minor complaint is the jerky 3 pt hitch.

/ Got my tractor! #10  
Welcome and congrats on the new tractor. I know the 401 well, a couple years back I was doing a project with a company in Cambridge and made the drive from Michigan every couple weeks. That hwy is awful when the snow starts to blow. Glad you got her home ok.