Got my tractor!

/ Got my tractor! #21  
Hey kOua- glad I saw your link to coating the floorboards of your L3400- I am planning on doing the same thing this spring, since the original paint is really worn looking. I was thinking about disassembling, but your posts told me otherwise. I am okay masking.
Russel- you're gonna like your new Kubota. You can find the maintenance manual online thru TbN, too. You might want download it to a storage drive, for future reference. The owner's manual is pretty thorough for regular stuff, I find. And, years ago I used to travel the 401 when my mother-in-law lived in York, above Toronto. Your trailer looks a bit marginal, so glad you made it without the OPP stopping you.

Yes, I was pretty pleased with the results, and it still looked good when I traded it off 200+ hours later.
Tip, spray black paint into those big holes you see for access to those bolt heads first. It is just for looks, but when you coat the top of the floor boards they really contrast with the black topping by showing their orange color. If you are good at masking you could probably do it fairly easy..I would still take the center cover off. it is just 4 little screws and comes off easy. It is very helpful to have it covered as when you get on with your snowy or muddy boots, you invairbly step on or slip on that slick thing. Be sure to do your steps too.

/ Got my tractor! #22  
Russel I noticed at least from the photo, that your floorboards still appear new. As they are just painted, they wear pretty quickly down to bare steel. When I had an L3400 I coated my floorboards and step with do it yourself truck bed coating. I was very pleased with the results, as it added traction as well as protecting the steel. Here is the thread if you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ed-coating-floorboards.html?highlight=coating

Let me suggest another option. Onour commercial fishing boat we used

Sheet embossed rubber or treadmaster which is a corkneoprene compound.Absolutelynonskid and:dance1: looks classy.glued on with epoxy or mechanically fastened.

/ Got my tractor! #23  
Got your tractor?
Got your tractor?!?!?!?!?

Get crackin" and post some pictures!
Just kidding, sort of.
Enjoy the rapture of new iron & don't forget your mittens.
-Jim

/ Got my tractor! #24  
RusselF,

Congratulations on the new tractor. You might want to consider adding rear ballast to the 3pt hitch. This can be done by adding a heavy implement or a ballast box (purchased or fabricated).

Benefits:
1) Safety/Stability as the rear will become very light when lifting heavy objects.
2) Reduce front axle bearing load. Bearing failures do occur over time which typically show themselves as seal leaks. My neighbor had a seal leak because the bearings were gone. Never added any ballast to the 3-pt, but his tires were loaded which aided stability, but did nothing about reducing front axle load.

Oil: Considering your cold temperatures you might want to consider a diesel specific synthetic oil of your choice.

Hydraulic fluid: Some folks including myself have noticed a difference when using SUDT-2 over SUDT and UDT fluids. (Difference: less noise and more responsive hydraulics in low temps).

Have fun and be safe with the new tractor.

/ Got my tractor! #25  
Welcome from Alberta, the truly frozen north! Congrats on your purchase, looks great!

/ Got my tractor! #26  
Welcome from Washington State! Well actually I'm down under working at the moment. Looks like you are off to a great relationship with your 'new' tractor. She's a 'beaut'!