gots a problem with the hpx

/ gots a problem with the hpx #1  

TOMMYHPX4X4

Veteran Member
Tractor
gator hpx 4x4
the hpx has a starting problem. here is what i got so for.
1.....i take the fuel line off the carb and crank it over and fuel comes out so i figure the fuel pump is working . it's making the regular noise and it'as pumping fuel so i crossed that one out.

2....i changed the plugs not with new ones but with some that was still good when i took them out "still no go"

3....i checked all the fuse and they are good.

now this is what she is doing i turn the key and she turns over and over/and over well you get the point. she will finally start after about 5 to 10 minutes of cranking after she's running she runs smooth no missing or nuthin. so what do you guys think?????? tomorrow i'm gonna go get a brand new set of plugs and try them but i really don't think it's the plugs. i do notice that the fuel filter don't even fill up half way even when she's running.is that good ?i was thinking of switching to a different filter something smaller.

/ gots a problem with the hpx #2  
Bad AFR ?

Anything show up on the old plugs ?

I got nothing really.

/ gots a problem with the hpx #4  
I'd say it must be electrical.

/ gots a problem with the hpx #6  
First, I'm not a mechanic, but, shouldn't the fuel filter be full during running. For no air /or air gap should be in the line or filters. I know before one starts up it will ( or could ) have a air gap or filter not full, but once cranked-up it should all be pressured up and full of fuel.

I can remember at one time, we had a piece of equipment that the filter didn't stay full, and it ran like crap. Cranking it was horrible !!!! After a mechanic looked at it. and stated that the filter should aways stay full, well, final problem was the filter had a micro-pin hole in it, along with a pin hole on the induction side of the fuel line, which made it suck air, which caused the filter to hold a air pocket, which made it run bad. After the fixin', never had no more trouble ........

This might not have nothing to do with your problem, but thought I'd Just run that by you, might look into it >>>>>>>>>> :confused:

/ gots a problem with the hpx
the filter never did fill up completely but i never notived how for it did fill up when it was running . it does have a big filter thats why i was thinking of getting a smaller one being it never filled up the big one??? but that could be a problem.

/ gots a problem with the hpx #8  
Do you have a spark at all?

Take the plugs and sit them on top of some metal part of the engine- a bolt or something, and have someone crank while you watch- see if there is a spark.

If you have a spark then you've got carb problems.

Mine was starting to do this and I had some trash in the carb.

Filter shouldn't affect it- wether the filter is full or not the flow rate will remain constant.

that's what i was thinkin about the filter being it never filled up and when i took the line off the carb and turned it over it pumped gas pretty good so i didn't think it was the filter . i'm gonna try the plug thing when my son gets home.

ok i got my son to put the screwdriver in the sparkplug cap and holt it nect to the metal on the engine and it didn't spark.so now i'm in the prosess of tracking down wires and cleaning conections with clp .