GPS app for locating property lines

/ GPS app for locating property lines
I don't even know roughly where it is! I mean I know it's on the side of a steep slope that goes for quite a ways but that's a large area to search. I also don't know for sure that there was a fence there, or that it was all the way across. My wife claims she found it once but hasn't been able to tell me where it is. I was hoping to narrow down the search area and maybe be able to find survey markers from when it was surveyed when we bought it.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #22  
I don't even know roughly where it is! I mean I know it's on the side of a steep slope that goes for quite a ways but that's a large area to search. I also don't know for sure that there was a fence there, or that it was all the way across. My wife claims she found it once but hasn't been able to tell me where it is. I was hoping to narrow down the search area and maybe be able to find survey markers from when it was surveyed when we bought it.
If it was surveyed when you bought it, they should have notes that they took when they were there. Unless you pay for more though all that a surveyor does is ID the corners and (hopefully) set pins; they may not have left anything on the side lines.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #23  
Geez you guys are scaring me. I'm a land surveyor and there is no way you should be using any kind of hand held GPS to try and locate markers or boundary lines. I have a $25,000 GPS system and it doesn't work in the trees a lot of the time in the winter, let alone when the leaves are on the trees. Hand held GPS also is only good to about 10 feet at best, and often much worse. You also have to realize how the GIS system was created? Is it just a pretty picture or is it based on actual survey data? I can tell you most are just a pretty picture. The joke is GIS stands for Get It Surveyed.

As I land surveyor its not like I have exclusive use of tape measure, GPS, and total stations, but I do have exclusive rights to perform boundary surveys. There is nothing wrong with a land owner trying to figure out where his corners are. The problem arises when you start relying on that information to build fences or other improvements.

:thumbsup:

/ GPS app for locating property lines #24  
I know how poor GPS and GIS is. I'm trying to find the fence that was on the boundary many years ago. I said that when I posted and some guys assumed that I'm an idiot who will be using the GPS and GIS to place something. I don't know everything but I'm not that stupid. The land is very steep and the woods are very thick. Stuff grows fast here and things on the ground get buried in debris or covered in brush pretty quick.

ALL I am doing is looking for existing indicators of the boundary. THAT'S ALL I AM DOING. Got it?

Get close with the gps and rent a metal detector from the local rental yard......especially since you know the pins are there. That has produced good results for me a few times.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #25  
When trying to locate you boundary lines , do whatever Dodge Man suggests. He is a surveyor. I think that the only person qualified to legally determine a boundary in North America is a land surveyor or a judge if there is a disagreement between surveyors as to the location of a boundary. I could be wrong. Just because you found a 'survey pin' doesn't mean you found your corner. There could be more than one pin in the area or it could be a witness bar. Never assume what a pin defines without a plan of survey and confirmed measurements.
Al

/ GPS app for locating property lines #26  
When trying to locate you boundary lines , do whatever Dodge Man suggests. He is a surveyor. I think that the only person qualified to legally determine a boundary in North America is a land surveyor or a judge if there is a disagreement between surveyors as to the location of a boundary. I could be wrong. Just because you found a 'survey pin' doesn't mean you found your corner. There could be more than one pin in the area or it could be a witness bar. Never assume what a pin defines without a plan of survey and confirmed measurements.
Al
Yet if you know how to read your deed, have a good metes and bounds description and the pins match up with what it says, you shouldn't need to hire a surveyor unless you have permanent activity planned near your property line. Don't get me wrong; I advocate consulting a surveyor to protect your interests any time you lay out your hard earned cash for a piece of property. (And a mortgage loan inspection is NOT a survey.)

/ GPS app for locating property lines #27  
I致e been surveying for 34 years and licensed for 26 and have never done a mortgage inspection. They aren稚 worth the paper they are printed on.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #28  
Try AGRIplot

/ GPS app for locating property lines #29  
I致e been surveying for 34 years and licensed for 26 and have never done a mortgage inspection. They aren稚 worth the paper they are printed on.

All that they is a CYA for the title insurer. I did them for a year for a survey company down in southern Maine. the most memorable was when the request included a survey from another company which clearly showed part of the house was on somebody else's property; we kicked it back and suggested that they have the inspection done by the company which did the survey.

/ GPS app for locating property lines #30  
My 20 acre property has steep hills and many mature trees and was surveyed by someone once upon a time. There are maybe 30 angles going here and there. The recordings used trees and rocks as markers, so it would never be an official survey. The lines are inaccessible for traffic and in the sticks so to speak, but there are broken down fences surrounding the place.

I used google maps which had the outline of the property, albeit faint. I blew it up at each point and got coordinates of each angle. Then I got my Garmin GPS and typed in the coordinated and followed it around the property. It was not dead nuts, but within a couple feet from what I could tell.