GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #1  

popeye49

Tractor
Kubota GR2100
I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I feel the need to ask. My manual says to first turn the throttle to full speed on my GR2100, then engage the mower deck. When I do this, unless I move the lever VERY slowly, there is a squeal. I don't really know if it's from the belt, pto, or mower gearbox. When I bought my used tractor, the dealer had the engine running slow, then said to engage the mower deck slowly (I don't think it squeals then), and then after it's engaged to increase throttle speed. What do you other owners say is normal, here? I got to admit, it would seem correct to me, to disregard the manual, and to engage the mower at slow RPM rather that at full speed since there is no clutch pedal to ease off on.

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #2  
I think the best idea is to have the engine running fast enough that it has sufficient torque to start the deck without bogging down. If you engage at too low an rpm, the engine semi-stalls and jerks around, transmitting that shock to the internal engine parts and the PTO components. If the engine is running about 1200 to 1500 rpm and you engage with a slow steady motion, the engagement is smooth with only a slight drop in engine rpm. I think that's the best and it is what I do on my G1800.

BTW: The squeal you are hearing is probably the PTO v-belt pulley engaging as the idler pulley supplies tension. You could put some belt dressing on the belt, but the squeal probably doesn't hurt anything but your ears.;)

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #3  
Not a stupid question! your dealer did not change the belts!!

NO NO NO!!!! no belt dressing that stuff is flammable;

You need a new belt or two if it did not come with new ones.

You should buy the Gates Brand green belts as they are designed for shock loads and will last longer. All V belts are metric in size.

You engage at full RPM to avoid stalling.

The dealer was too cheap to change the belts with new ones and he new better!

Last edited:
   / GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO
I see the GR2110 uses 2 belts, but my 2100 looks like a single belt. Do these "green belts" come with a Kevlar covering & can anyone provide me with a part number or belt number for these? I guess I'm ignorant, but where can you find "Gates Brand"? My dealer gave me a 3 year 100% warranty (parts & labor & free pickup and delivery) on the engine, tranny & pump on my used GR2100, so I guess he's not all cheap.

OK, I managed to find my GR2100-54" mower deck, which is a RCK54-23ZG. From there I came up with a belt part number of K5221-71410. I checked the Gates Belt website for their competitive parts interchange and it says they have no replacement part. So, I'm back to square one. It appears only a Kubota part is available.

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #6  
Good morning,

AHA you have a V belt for the final drive like most of the small hydrostatic drive tractors.

If the green belt is not available you can buy another brands woven for high shock load duty with no issues as the belt is a standard metric size.

If you a NAPA store or a farn tractor dealer near by find a belt should be no problem take the old belt with you and bask them to measure it with a V belt guage.

You can get V belts for this animal with no issues other than a bit of searching or calling.

I will put up a list of V belt suppliers on the page here for everyone to use.

No worries as a V belt, is a V belt, is a V belt; As a Mine mechanic I will tell you that this is no issue for you and you will be able to find a good replacement belt as they are not SPECIALLY MADE.

leonz

Thanks for your help, I did a little research on the belt since, and come up with a substitute number of B110K, and a Kevlar (encased) Blue Belt is available at several places online, and with shipping, would cost me about $35. I think it's pretty safe to assume that my local Kubota dealer would want at least that much for a standard belt. I'll probably pick one up & pull the deck and replace it this fall or in the early spring, when it's cooler. I'm not desperate. What I have is working.

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #8  
Your most welcome,

Please be sure to check for crap in the fuel tank, just to be on the safe side.

/ GR2100 squeal when engaging PTO #9  
The belt on your tractor only connects the three blade spindles together. There is a gearbox on the middle spindle which is driven by a shaft from the transmission. The blade engage/disengage clutch is a wet clutch that is internal to the transmission. I don't think the sound you are hearing is coming from the deck belt.

My GR2110 occasionally makes a brief squeal that clearly comes from the transmission when I engage the blades ,which I do at full throttle. I engage the clutch slowly but deliberately taking about 2 seconds to fully engage the blades. There is an adjustment for the PTO clutch that sets the spring pressure applied while your PTO is engaged, that might need adjusting as well.

Is this adjustment easy to get at to be done by the owner? I thought the wet clutch might have something to do with it, since the dealer made a point to tell me about it when he engaged the blades while demonstrating the tractor to me. I may have been distracted enough by his "spiel" that I didn't make note of any noise. But as long as I know this is pretty normal, since it also does it on the updated version of this machine, I won't worry about it too much. I'll be changing the transmission fluid this fall, so maybe that, in itself, may improve things a bit. Thanks.