GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill???

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #1  

hilleyja

I tried managing my mowing with a Cub Cadet 1212 for 3 years and finally decided to upgrade to a 4-wheel drive mower. I couldn't find one (whole bunch of 3-point tractors with mow decks but no dedicated mower) until I checked out the local Kubota dealer. It took exactly 30 seconds after climbing on a GR2100 and I was sold and that was just driving around their parking lot like a go-cart.

Its been a little more than a month and I am currently in an on-going discussion with Kubota. I'm a little dissapointed with the GR's climbing ability. Most of my hill areas are between 15-30 degrees and it appears 30 degrees is the max hill I can climb. Unfortunately I do have a few areas that are closer to 35 degrees (acutually I have some hills much steeper than that but expect no to be able to mow them) and can't coax the mower up the hill. She manages going down with no difficulty.

Is this the norm for this machine? I've heard reports that coming out of the factory many of the GR's need adjustments to the throttle pedal and/or hydrostatic transmission. My local mechanic did adjust my transmission but it still won't take those marginal hills.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #2  
Sorry it won't be any help, but just because it has 4 wd doesn't make it a slope mower. I feel for you because I had a similar problem on my slopes and ended up with a Ventrac lawn tractor (their smallest mower) because using my Cub Cadet was really just a futile effort and was unsafe too. There a tractors designed for what you are mowing, unfortunately you Kubota is never going to be a good slope mower. You may want to look up a local Steiner dealer or Ventrac dealer (they are few and far between, but they service large areas). I would I could help more, but that's all I've got.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #4  
30 degrees is one steep hill and beyond the capabilities of most 4wd tractors, 20-25 degrees is basically the limit for safety sake....You need one of those angle meters to give you the actual angle. Forget about 35 degrees in its entirety....Does it climb the hills while the PTO is on and you are mowing? Try it without the Pto on and mow on the way down

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #5  
A guy named "slammer" recently bought a GR2000 and he says it a hill climbing son of a gun! You might want to send him a PM and ya'll could compare notes.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #7  
I am slam I am. I have extremely steep hills and the GR handles them with no problem. I can even back up them! I do not have an inclinometer so I really don't know the actual angle. I will shoot a pic tommorrow, maybe that will give you an idea. BTW, I have the 2000 w/ the Kohler Command Pro. It's pretty torquey for a gas burner.

Something you might look at is the "pedal stop" bolt behind the go pedal. Mine was loose when delivered and I was not getting full throw. Took about 2 seconds to adjust.

Slam

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am slam I am.)</font>

Nice slam! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have extremely steep hills and the GR handles them with no problem.)</font>

I knew that thing could climb a hill!!

I'd be interested to see some pics of what you handle with the GR! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #9  
How do you feel about the tractor as far as quality etc...

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #10  
Just to put some things in prospective this is a 25 degree incline....what is being referred to is a 30 to 35 or more degree incline....huge difference

677193-Gravley%2520on%2520the%2520hill.jpg

I cant take any credit for the picture other than borrowing it from someone else (kevin) - its a great shot

Attachments

• 677193-Gravley%20on%20the%20hill.jpg
    677193-Gravley%20on%20the%20hill.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 534