GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill???

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #11  
Was the gage reading "0" when on level ground? The hood tilts down. If it didn't read level on level ground, that hill is steeper than the gage is showing.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #12  
Hi Jerry,

I will assume it was correctly calibrated. The gentleman who made that picture is probably one of the most knowledeable folks around regarding tractors and a whole assortment of things. Not sure if he ever came to this site, but he would be an asset if he did - KBeitz would be his initials

Kbeitz web page

I didnt mean to drag him into this and borrow his picture - but it makes a great point...people do confuse a 30% grade slope and 30 degree slope ( I still do)

Ducati

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #13  
That confusion is made all the time, here and also other places.
The reason that I mentioned it was that it looked steeper than the 25 degrees that it shows.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #14  
In the bottom photo, if you assume that the shed in the background is plumb, the top of the camera looks like it is tilted to the right. If the camera had been tilted to the left so the left side of the frame is in line with the shed, then the hill wouldn't look so steep. Of course the outhouse could be leaning. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #15  
I purchased the GR2100 to handle slopes and to run a snow blower in the winter. I am extremely happy for the most part but I actually contacted Kubota myself to question why it has no a** backing up a hill. It just doesnt "feel right" in reverse, no power at all even on a mild incline. I have tried disengaging the PTO and it makes no difference. It will go up very steep hills with no problems whatsoever and has a very low center of gravity so it feels more stable on slopes in general. My old JD had the opposite problem and I always had to throttle down to back up. Kubota just refered me to my dealer to check it out but I am afraid that this is just how its going to be with this machine. Its no inconvenience really. I just have to make sure I dont get myself into a situation that I cant back out of...

If others have no problems like this I may just bring it in and maybe there is some type of adjustment that they can make.

BTW, I posted pics in the gallery and as soon as I figure out how to do video clips again I will try that as well.

JP

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #16  
Some quick guides regarding angles of slopes, grade, etc...which can help explain the difference better than I ever could.....Google of course has much more info

Slope and Grade info

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #17  
Here are some pics of my GR2000 on a hill on the roadside edge of my property. I could not get up this hill with My Gravely ZTR or my Simplicity Lancer even my old Craftsman GT18 with wheel weights would only go half way. The GR backs up just as easily as it pulled up...I have no real idea how steep this is...

Heres the hill after I made a test climb with the blades off.

Sittin' on the hill after I mowed a pass or two...

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I tried managing my mowing with a Cub Cadet 1212 for 3 years and finally decided to upgrade to a 4-wheel drive mower. I couldn't find one (whole bunch of 3-point tractors with mow decks but no dedicated mower) until I checked out the local Kubota dealer. It took exactly 30 seconds after climbing on a GR2100 and I was sold and that was just driving around their parking lot like a go-cart.

Its been a little more than a month and I am currently in an on-going discussion with Kubota. I'm a little dissapointed with the GR's climbing ability. Most of my hill areas are between 15-30 degrees and it appears 30 degrees is the max hill I can climb. Unfortunately I do have a few areas that are closer to 35 degrees (acutually I have some hills much steeper than that but expect no to be able to mow them) and can't coax the mower up the hill. She manages going down with no difficulty.

Is this the norm for this machine? I've heard reports that coming out of the factory many of the GR's need adjustments to the throttle pedal and/or hydrostatic transmission. My local mechanic did adjust my transmission but it still won't take those marginal hills. )</font>

Here is the pedal stop adjustment bolt that was loose on mine. It took a couple seconds to adjust so that I had full throw...

As you can see the pedal stop for reverse is right below the stop for forward. Mine was tight.

Slam

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #19  
I would say that is a 15 degree slope but you really need the proper device to measure it accurately. Anything 12-15+ degrees (11+ in Europe) would be considered dangerous (reference warning labels & manuals), so 30-35 degrees is insane. At 35 degrees you would be driving your GR on your head. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, the GR should easily climb a 15-20 degree hill in forward or reverse but like I basically mention above...do it at your own risk.

/ GR2100 - What it Can/Cannot Do On A Hill??? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would say that is a 15 degree slope but you really need the proper device to measure it accurately. Anything 12-15+ degrees (11+ in Europe) would be considered dangerous (reference warning labels & manuals), so 30-35 degrees is insane. At 35 degrees you would be driving your GR on your head. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, the GR should easily climb a 15-20 degree hill in forward or reverse but like I basically mention above...do it at your own risk. )</font>

Thanks Ricochet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam