grab chain length

/ grab chain length #11  
I use two 7ft chains for almost everything. I have a 20 ft but would have to look for it, I don't remember the last time I used it. I do use the three link chain that has a hook on each end, I use it to "shorten" a chain. Works great for making a loop in the middle of a chain.

/ grab chain length #12  
On the log end I would prefer to use a choker which is just a specialized slip hook with a narrower opening so the chain is less likely to come out. It allows the chain to tighten around the log like a noose. A slip hook will work too.
The slots are a real good idea :thumbsup: as long as you use good rugged angle so the fingers don't fold over and you watch the angle of your bucket so the chain does't slide up and out.

Attachments

• D_BarT_Hook.JPG
    D_BarT_Hook.JPG
    912.9 KB · Views: 386
   / grab chain length #13  
OP: You did not mention what size grab hooks you installed. 5/16" grab hooks are the most useful size. 5/16" hooks will grab 3/8", 5/16" and 1/4" chain securely, from my experience.

If you have 3/8" grab hooks they will grab 5/16" chain too.

Home Depot in Florida has a best package price on chain: Grade 70 / 4,700 lbs working load limit, 5/16" X 20', with two Grade 70 grab hooks for $37.98. Chain and hooks are made in China, which is a quality control / safety concern for some. Likely similar price in other states. My receipt is dated 8/07/2012.

Chain unit packaged in a tough plastic bag labelled "TOW CHAIN WITH GRAB HOOKS" in the chain sub-section within hardware.

I have a Kubota B3300SU / 33-hp / 1,800 pounds; one Kubota increment smaller compared to your tractor. I would not buy heavier [literally] chain than 5/16" / Grade 70. Your tires will loose traction before you approach 4,700 pounds pulling force.

Have Home Depot cut the 20' length so you have one 8' length and one 12' length, add two Grade 70, 5/16" SLIP hooks from Tractor Supply and you will be ready to work. ( My Gainesville Home Depot inventories only Grade 43 slip hooks.)

If you are going to drag many logs get a Hanging Tree setup so you do not hurt yourself. Northern Tools sells the 3-point ready Norwood Log Hog, Part #41255 @ $300. Mine comes from OMNI Manufacturing which sells direct and via eBay. See following link including safety information:

OMNI Manufacturing / OMNI Grabhook Hanging Tree

Last edited:
   / grab chain length #14  
That looks like a great design. It eliminated hooks facing different directions. While u said they worked fine, did u have any concern stressing them in one direction vs. another? It looks like u bolted them in, so a non welder could create the same thing.

Thanks for the pics.

So far I haven't used the setup with the chain draped over the back side of the bucket to do any lifting. What does anyone hook onto with the chain coming back over the bucket? I have always had the load on the front side of the bucket.

The strength of the heavy angle resting against the lip on the top of the bucket has never been "wimpy" enough to cause any trouble. There have been times when I wanted to drop a load and go do something else. To do that, it's eaesy to keep the extra chain either in the bucket or dangling in front (so long as it isn't long enough to get in the way). While the bucket doesn't uncurl enough to drop the chain, I can lower, uncurl and back away to unhook it.

/ grab chain length #15  
I think its a fantastic idea. If many TBN readers see it, I wonder if there will be a lot of people choosing that method.

/ grab chain length #16  
I have a slotted piece of 2x2x1/4 angle accross the back of my 3pth that I use for skidding logs and a large slip hook in the middle of my bucket (re-enforced with 3" channel) Tomorrow I'm gonna add two of Chims brackets to the outer corners of the bucket!!!!

/ grab chain length #17  
Chims brackets. Now I know what to call them :thumbsup:

/ grab chain length #18  
I have lots of chains, short and long.
Wish I had purchased ONLY grade 70 chain because it is lighter and stronger...and lighter is worth a lot when working with chain.

/ grab chain length #19  
R43-well you have had a lot of good advice.-My two cents, as you said "Hooks" I assume you have two-right and left. Not my favorite as I say nothing works as well as a single center mounted hook. Ever see a big machine with hooks other than in the center? Not likely. With one center mounted hook you are never guessing about a balanced centered load. In any case you really don't want to be lifting any weight off center-so you IMO need a second one to drop off the center to attach to the load being lifted. This assumes the first chain is slung from the hooks on your bucket edges.

I also agree with those who suggest at least one chain that has a grab and a hook. Another usefiul thing is a nylon sling. I have a 4 footer and it is great for picking implements.

And back to your question, I would go with a 15', hookson each end and saya 5' with a grab and a hook. I also make sure my chain and hooks are USA. I'm sure some China product is as good-but I'm not gambling. Most equipment dealers, independent lumber yards will carry name brand grade 70 chain.

/ grab chain length #20  
Here is what I use from Harbor Freight 5/16" x 20 Ft. Trucker's Chain

I have never had a problem of them being too long. Sometimes they are longer than I need but it is easy to wrap the little excess around something to keep it out of the way. I can see if you are going to do a lot of log skidding these might bee too long.