grab chain length

/ grab chain length #21  
JD sometimes has those "truckers chains " on sale as well. I just replaced one of the grab hooks with a slip hook for tugging on logs..The other end either grabs onto another chain or get dropped into my Chims bracket LOL

/ grab chain length
R43-well you have had a lot of good advice.-My two cents, as you said "Hooks" I assume you have two-right and left. Not my favorite as I say nothing works as well as a single center mounted hook. Ever see a big machine with hooks other than in the center? Not likely. With one center mounted hook you are never guessing about a balanced centered load. In any case you really don't want to be lifting any weight off center-so you IMO need a second one to drop off the center to attach to the load being lifted. This assumes the first chain is slung from the hooks on your bucket edges.

I also agree with those who suggest at least one chain that has a grab and a hook. Another usefiul thing is a nylon sling. I have a 4 footer and it is great for picking implements.

And back to your question, I would go with a 15', hookson each end and saya 5' with a grab and a hook. I also make sure my chain and hooks are USA. I'm sure some China product is as good-but I'm not gambling. Most equipment dealers, independent lumber yards will carry name brand grade 70 chain.

Red Horse and everyone else, thanks. I have yet to put the hooks on the bucket, so center it is. Would there be any reason for the two on right and left? As for chains, it looks like grade 70, USA made with a hook and other items on the ends, choker? slip? (i have to look them up) what and how they are used. length's can be really anything, so I will start with what I can get my hands on and go from there, maybe an 8 and 12 like someone mentioned.

this site is great..

R43 for short.

/ grab chain length #23  
RAIDER43:

I would do a little more research here on TBN before center mounting chain hooks on a bucket.

On a big front-end loader or ag tractor with a heavy bucket center mounting is fine.

On relatively light tractors, like my B3300SU or your L35, with relatively light buckets, the center of the bucket is unsupported by the lift arms, nor the sides of the bucket. You do not want to stress the unsupported center of your bucket by pulling a load in reverse, nor do you want to lift the bucket with a load on one hook in the center.

Some 90%+ of TBN posts by operators with experience suggest attaching chain hooks in line with the lift cylinders on your bucket arms on compact tractors.

Last edited:
   / grab chain length #24  
.........................Would there be any reason for the two on right and left? As for chains, it looks like grade 70, USA made ...........................

I connect to two points (near the right & left ends of the bucket) for longer things I don't want twirling around such as poles, pieces of channel, etc. Also use the same end connections when I pick with the bucket and want to prevent the load from shifting forward.

I admit to using chains at home that I wouldn't use at work. At work, anything less than grade 80 would get me into trouble for overhead lifting. Of course, anything that wasn't legibly ID'd with the WLL, etc would be a problem. That said, a 5/15" grade 30 chain has a WLL of nearly twice the capability of my FEL and a breaking strength of 7,600#. I don't see myself getting into too much trouble using such a chain to set the 200# rototiller in my pickup.

/ grab chain length #25  
R43,

Like I said, some prefer two. I've had a 755 Deere, 3720, and 4720. Admittedly, been running large machines since I was a kid-50 yrs-ugh. If you have to worry about bending a bucket with a center hook, you shouldn't be doing whatever it is you are doing. In any case, if you are pulling something that heavy with two hooks, if you are not equally loaded, right chain vs. left, you run the risk of twisting something.

In any case, use your head whatever way you go. By the way, one of my kids has a Deere 2520. He bought it slightly used and the guy he bought it from welded two hooks-big enough to handle 1/2" chain-DUH! Yesterday I took my chipper over to his house-had it on the back of my skid steer trailer. Had to fashion a sling using two chains to get an even pull. I WILL be taking his bucket to my house to weld on a new mid hook.

PS-Whatever you do, install a reinforcing plate on the bucket and then weld the hook(s) to the plate.

/ grab chain length #26  
If you have to worry about bending a bucket with a center hook, you shouldn't be doing whatever it is you are doing.

Yes, but those of us with smaller compact and sub-compact tractors are constantly working close to the limits of our loaders. That's not the case with the larger equipment you've got. You might be within your bucket's load limits, but the bucket isn't designed to have the entire load hanging from the center of the bucket, you know?

/ grab chain length
sooo!!! we have to use some sense in the lifting process. I agree it is a small machine and the three hooks will give me some flexibility. grade 30 chains should be good and i read a post about a home depot chain for $40 which I could cut and have an 8 foot and 12 foot and add slip hooks to go along with grab hooks. It will come down to learning the process with all the advice. The joy is in the journey.

r43

/ grab chain length #28  
Hooks near the ends of the bucket also make it easy to hold things in the bucket that are way to big to just to lift in the bucket. Just hook the chain to one hook and around the stump, ect. and hook to the other hook, harder to do with only one hook.:2cents:

/ grab chain length #29  
Well like I said, I was going to add a center hook to my son's 2520 and I took the bucket home and its done- he has three- and for you guys that worry that a center hook will damage the bucket, I added a plate (equal to the size of the re-inforcing plate I welded on top to which the hook is welded)to the underside of the top edge-thus the bucket is now "boxed" in the center section :). Just in case the son is not as carefull as his old man!

/ grab chain length #30  
Gordon, where did you get the choker hook...that looks like a nice design I've not seen before.