Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #1  

mpsmith60

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 4WD HST
I smooth out my gravel driveway at least twice a year with a box blade. This last time I added a landscape rake to the mix and I was really pleased with the results. The attached pictures show this best.
vlcsnap-00175.jpgvlcsnap-00179.jpgvlcsnap-00174.jpg

Also, I made a video showing the whole process for anyone interested:

Has anyone else used a landscape rake for driveway maintenance?

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #2  
That looks very nice. BUT - why do you have to smooth out the driveway 2X per year. Doesn't that top material - whatever it is - pack down?

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #3  
Very well done video and great information. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #4  
Have you tryed removing every other tine on your landscape rake? Theres almost no reason to box blade it first then.

I find the normal tine spacing to be to tight for almost everything i do with the rake. Prety much acts like a plow after a few feet with normal spacing.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #5  
When you get a set of gauge wheels, you will think you died and went to heaven,,,

qB9wjJg.jpg

This works so good, I thought about adding them to the box blade,, butt,,,
I built a landplane, and never use the box blade any more,,,

The wheels work so well, I can tell when the top link is not adjusted right by as little as an inch.
The wheels make the attachment work like a motor grader,, it gives VERY level results.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #6  
Have you tryed removing every other tine on your landscape rake? Theres almost no reason to box blade it first then.

I find the normal tine spacing to be to tight for almost everything i do with the rake. Prety much acts like a plow after a few feet with normal spacing.

I tried removing every other tine on mine for a while. I didn't like the ridges left behind so I put it back like it came. I originally did it thinking it would pull less dirt but that was not the case. It seemed to pull the same amount but left deep grooves instead of a smooth surface.

I finally added a wheel kit and modified it so the wheels are further back from the rake. Now I can run it as deep or shallow as I want.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #7  
The way he turns the rake around backwards was interesting. As I'm looking at things that need to be done and what implements are needed to get them done, this may put a +1 in the landscape rake column.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #8  
The way he turns the rake around backwards was interesting. As I'm looking at things that need to be done and what implements are needed to get them done, this may put a +1 in the landscape rake column.

Running a rake backwards works very well for grooming.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 222
   / Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #9  
Depending on the type of material you have for a driveway, you have to be careful with a rake because it will pull the larger stuff up to the top and the fines will not mix with the coarse material. This allows the top to stay loose and not pack as well if that’s your goal.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #10  
I tried removing every other tine on mine for a while. I didn't like the ridges left behind so I put it back like it came. I originally did it thinking it would pull less dirt but that was not the case. It seemed to pull the same amount but left deep grooves instead of a smooth surface.

I finally added a wheel kit and modified it so the wheels are further back from the rake. Now I can run it as deep or shallow as I want.

The ridges are gone in a week on my driveway. Its mostly 1.25in crushed stone with some fines under that. Close tines didnt work well for me. Spaced ones really roughed everything up and really took out the weeds and hump in the middle. At this point in the year though i really looking for it to pack hard again before winter so the plow dosnt pick much up.