Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #11  
I just bought a 60 inch landscape rake but have not had the time or the weather to really try it out on my driveway, I think the tire kit would be a big plus but for me it is one thing at a time.

I will be getting wheels for the rake even if I have to make something myself.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #12  
I also use my box blade and landscape rake on my driveway. If I'm only dressing the top layer, the rake is fine. If I have to reshape or fill in ruts, etc, then the box blade first, followed by the rake.

But my driveway is short, only 300 feet or so to the road. I may get a land plane if our next place has a longer driveway/access road.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #13  
I used to need to run only the landscape rake [ In 'Normal' position ] on my 800' graveled driveway.. I iron suitcase weights on it to make it dig. I ran it at a 45 degree angle each way to create a crown, then a run down the middle to eliminate the peak in the center.

You really read the gauge wheels on the back of the tine group which will set the surface level to what has been traveled over, otherwise it gets bumpy and uneven. The trick is to have a rake who's width at the 45 degree angle setting, is wider than the tractor's axle tread width.

If you add the top and tilt features to your rake and blade, you have better control of the gravel redistribution, too.

I've since gone to all concrete and no longer need the rake equipment.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #14  
I never had good luck doing my drive with my box blade, always made more a mess, but my landscape rake was great. Multiple passes at angle to move the rock from edges, get a crown, then down the center.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #15  
I plan on doing the exact same thing to my drive. Should I wait until the leaves are off the ground or is it ok to mix the organic material in with the gravel?

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #16  
Blow the gravel driveway clean. I try to always do this even when not raking the gravel out. Organic material breaks down leaving dirt that weeds grow in or making your driveway a muddy mess.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #17  
Thanks, that was my thought too. We are in the peak of the leaf season in Northern Appalachia right now. Hopefully, we get a break between the leaves and the snow. Last year I was rolling leaves in my snowbanks all winter.

I love the forests and the seasons but I sure hate cleaning up after them.

/ Grading My Gravel Driveway with a Box Blade and a Landscape Rake #18  
We make our living installing and resurfacing gravel driveways. We use a box blade. Works great.