Grapple bucket for SCUT?

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #31  
My suggestion for pallet forks was because the OP seemed price sensitive and pallet forks can always be handy. Perhaps half of my equipment is stored on pallets.
Pallet forks are handy. I have a set that doesn't get used very often, but when I need them nothing else will do. Pallet forks without a claw suck for moving brush and logs, but still a huge improvement over the bucket.

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #32  
Who doesn't like bucket grapples? If I didn't have a SSQA, I'd definitely have one. Better than a 4n1 at a quarter the price.

Definitely not you ! You are one of the very few "real grapple" owners who appreciates the trade offs around a grapple bucket and will actually encourage their use out loud when it is appropriate.

gg

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT?
Thanks guys, I know you all like to show off your machines..but most are not representative of my situation. Not only am I cost conscience, I am weight conscience, I have a little tractor!

I've never seen anyone with a SCUT convert to a SSQA, mainly because of the weight they add. The lightest option I've seen is the tach-n-go from mytractortools, which runs ~$850. Then I need a pin on grapple....and of course the diverter or 3rd function valve. All together, seems like a bunch of money for something I only need a hand full of times per year.

I'll let you all know what I decide to do...

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #34  
Thanks guys, I know you all like to show off your machines..but most are not representative of my situation. Not only am I cost conscience, I am weight conscience, I have a little tractor!

I've never seen anyone with a SCUT convert to a SSQA, mainly because of the weight they add. The lightest option I've seen is the tach-n-go from mytractortools, which runs ~$850. Then I need a pin on grapple....and of course the diverter or 3rd function valve. All together, seems like a bunch of money for something I only need a hand full of times per year.

I'll let you all know what I decide to do...

I totally understand your situation. Very hard to justify a Grapple on a SCUT. I think everyone is trying to offer options. None of us are worried about what your final decision is. Just giving suggestions and personal preferences. You are free to do whatever you decide. That's what is so good about this website. No pressure.

As to use, you'll just have to trust us on this one, if you have a Grapple you will quickly wonder how you got along without one. :)

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #35  
Little tractor means little grapple. Big tractor means big grapple. A properly sized grapple doesn't severely compromise lift strength. You are going to need hydraulics for any setup with a clamp, so that price doesn't matter. The grapple bucket isn't free, so there is not a huge difference in price.

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #37  
I happened to come across this and wonder if you have seen it ? It says 80 lb grapple for BX

American Solutions LLC

gg

That is basically a kit to convert the standard bucket into a grapple bucket. Should work just fine but is barely cheaper than a light duty 50" grapple from EA. I would imagine that the weight of kit plus standard bucket is pretty close to the 250lbs of the EA grapple too. So, it seems a perfectly reasonable option and has the advantage that you A) don't need to mount/dismount and B) you have both the bucket as well as a pretty good grapple all the time. Flip side is that a true grapple can handle bulkier loads a bit more easily and can dig out roots etc. Also, switching a pin mounted grapple that weighs only 250lbs isn't hard to do so long as you have a nice flat surface and crowbar to maneuver the thing with.

Remember that you still need to deal with the hydraulics question but that would be identical for either the kit or a true grapple.

If I had a BX I'd be inclined to do the kit myself. And I would LOVE to have a BX TLB in addition to my current tractor.

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #38  
Flip side is that a true grapple can handle bulkier loads a bit more easily and can dig out roots etc.

Yep, when compared to the factory bucket. I'm not sure I'd like an add on Grapple on a short aproned bucket like the factory ones. But if there's a considerable cost savings over buying a Grapple then it would be considered.

I built my Grapple on a Bobcat Low-Pro bucket which has a very long apron and toothed edge. It easily "grabs" bulky brush and by standing it on edge and pushing, "sweeps" up the small stuff into a pile for grabbing. And still offers the use of the bucket to carry loose material.

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #39  
Yep, when compared to the factory bucket. I'm not sure I'd like an add on Grapple on a short aproned bucket like the factory ones. But if there's a considerable cost savings over buying a Grapple then it would be considered.

I built my Grapple on a Bobcat Low-Pro bucket which has a very long apron and toothed edge. It easily "grabs" bulky brush and by standing it on edge and pushing, "sweeps" up the small stuff into a pile for grabbing. And still offers the use of the bucket to carry loose material.

The price of that Add A Grapple kit is pretty high considering that a basic thumb with cylinder can be purchased on eBay for less than four hundred bucks. At $1600 the EA grapple is probably a better bang for the buck than a $1200 add a grapple kit but both would be a clear enhancement over just a bucket. (Edit: I just saw that the Add A Grapple kit says it includes a "hydraulic valve". It doesn't say anything about that valve ??third function or diverter but if it includes the valve then the price is more reasonable as that is worth $600++ depending on what exactly is provided).

The only real advantage of the kit is that someone else has done all the measuring and fabrication of the mount. For someone with basic metalworking and welding (or bolting) skills, fabricating a mount wouldn't be hard.

New Bucket Thumb Grapple for Skid Steer Loader Tractor Small | eBay

/ Grapple bucket for SCUT? #40  
The price of that Add A Grapple kit is pretty high considering that a basic thumb with cylinder can be purchased on eBay for less than four hundred bucks. At $1600 the EA grapple is probably a better bang for the buck than a $1200 add a grapple kit but both would be a clear enhancement over just a bucket. (Edit: I just saw that the Add A Grapple kit says it includes a "hydraulic valve". It doesn't say anything about that valve ??third function or diverter but if it includes the valve then the price is more reasonable as that is worth $600++ depending on what exactly is provided).

The only real advantage of the kit is that someone else has done all the measuring and fabrication of the mount. For someone with basic metalworking and welding (or bolting) skills, fabricating a mount wouldn't be hard.

New Bucket Thumb Grapple for Skid Steer Loader Tractor Small | eBay

Yeah, I don't consider myself talented at all, but I built my Grapple. I do have a shop with the necessary tools. Can't remember what I had in material cost. Without valving I'd say $450. That's for a double cylinder, double clawed Grapple.

Something for the OP to consider. If you have a Welding Shop near you, stop in and talk to them. My local shop builds individual Grapples to fit customer needs.