Grapple grapple not what they said !

/ grapple not what they said ! #61  
Kinda off topic, and hijacking, and in the wrong forum section, but......

Hows the echo 670 compared to the 6400's?

Always heard good of the echos, just that they are a tad slower.

They both have their strong points. Really like the manual oiler on the Echo. Feels like a torque monster. It also fits in my side boxes on my 550 flatbed which is a huge plus for me. 6400's don't fit.
The 6400's are screamers. Even stock they cruise through oak. Can't imagine them "tuned".... I like the compression release. They are solid, but a bit heavy and the fuel/oil caps can get stuck on kinda tight.

/ grapple not what they said ! #63  
The 6400's are screamers. Even stock they cruise through oak. Can't imagine them "tuned".... I like the compression release. They are solid, but a bit heavy and the fuel/oil caps can get stuck on kinda tight.

So you think the 6400 is faster cutting than the 670???? But heavier??

Makes since. The 6400 (as you probabally know) is built on the 7900 platform. It is indeed heavy for its "cc's", but IMO, I dont think it is really heavy for its "speed". The thing cuts like a 70+cc saw:thumbsup:

Yes, the gas and oil caps do get tight when time to re-fuel. But I always have a scrench handy:thumbsup: A little black tape and a short peice of 5/16 ruber hose on the chain brake handle = permanant scrench holder. Never go cutting without one:thumbsup:

I would like to get my hands on either an echo 600 or 670, but the way I figure it....If I am going to spend $200-$300 on a used saw that I really dont need.....It might as well be a dolmar:laughing:

/ grapple not what they said ! #64  
So you think the 6400 is faster cutting than the 670???? But heavier??

Makes since. The 6400 (as you probabally know) is built on the 7900 platform. It is indeed heavy for its "cc's", but IMO, I dont think it is really heavy for its "speed". The thing cuts like a 70+cc saw:thumbsup:

Yes, the gas and oil caps do get tight when time to re-fuel. But I always have a scrench handy:thumbsup: A little black tape and a short peice of 5/16 ruber hose on the chain brake handle = permanant scrench holder. Never go cutting without one:thumbsup:

I would like to get my hands on either an echo 600 or 670, but the way I figure it....If I am going to spend $200-$300 on a used saw that I really dont need.....It might as well be a dolmar:laughing:

If I was to upgrade one of the saws to 28" bar, which would you use the 6400 or the 670?

/ grapple not what they said ! #65  
If I was to upgrade one of the saws to 28" bar, which would you use the 6400 or the 670?

Since I have not ran the CS670....I cant give an accurate answer.

You have ran both. Which one do you think has the most power to pull a 28" bar??

Aside from that, I'll give a shot at some good advice here:laughing:

I would buy the 28" setup for the dolmar. Because that bar mount "will" also work on the echo with some slight modification (or not).

From my reading/digging, the oil hole will match up fine. But the echo bar uses smaller studs and thus a smaller slot. You can either make some small washers/spacer, or just know that the slot is too bit, and be sure to pull up on the nose of the bar when tensioning and tightening the nuts. And now you have the 28" that will work on both. But you cant make the echo mount work on the dolmar (without opening that slot) and then you would be in the same boat.

I am no stranger to modifying bars to work. But the dolmar mount is refered to as the "large husky" mount and is pretty common and easy to get. Most of my older dolmars have the "small husky mount". ANd it isnt to hard to make a large mount work. It isnt rocket science. Actually, the 24" on my 6400/8400 was a carlton on closeout at baileys pretty cheap. WRONG mount though. Slot was TOO wide. But the oil and tension hole line up fine. So what if there is a little slop before everything gets locked down.

So to sum it up....I dont know how the cs670 compares power wise, but I'd get the dolmar mount because you can "make" it work on the echo. And when you go to order that bar, you might as well order the NWP BB kit for one of them 6400's:D

I'd also reccomend semi-skip chain too. Takes less power, and can actually cut faster in large stuff. Because there is more room between cutters for chips to collect. If you run full comp chain, once there is no room for chips, the cutter quits cutting, and robs you of power to pull the rest of the cutters through. Something like that

/ grapple not what they said ! #66  
I was looking at the Skid Steer Express website and saw a few things labeled as "made in USA":), but most were not. Do you know where the Grapple was made? Made in China:(? I'm thinking about a set of forks, but don't want any that are MIC.

/ grapple not what they said ! #67  
If you look at the pics of the 60" LW grapple on their website, you'll see where they have a digital micrometer reading .394 on a tooth. The material isn't 3/8", but rather 10mm. Since it costs more to buy metric stock in the US than inch nom. stock I would say that the grapples are made elsewhere, most likely China.

Assuming you have a JD as shown in your sig, I suggest that you visit Artillian.com. Not only does he sell US made forks and fork frames for JD compacts, he's also a TBN member and advertiser.

/ grapple not what they said ! #68  
I was looking at the Skid Steer Express website and saw a few things labeled as "made in USA":), but most were not. Do you know where the Grapple was made? Made in China:(? I'm thinking about a set of forks, but don't want any that are MIC.

Hi Droptop,

We make these grapples in Memphis, TN. We get the hoses and cylinders from a local supplier and they are imported and are warrantied. Our pallet fork frames are made in Memphis and the fork blades are Forged in the USA.

Best regards,
Bill

/ grapple not what they said ! #69  
If you look at the pics of the 60" LW grapple on their website, you'll see where they have a digital micrometer reading .394 on a tooth. The material isn't 3/8", but rather 10mm. Since it costs more to buy metric stock in the US than inch nom. stock I would say that the grapples are made elsewhere, most likely China.

Assuming you have a JD as shown in your sig, I suggest that you visit Artillian.com. Not only does he sell US made forks and fork frames for JD compacts, he's also a TBN member and advertiser.

Or Canada.

/ grapple not what they said ! #70  
Just stumbled in here and wanted to add that I picked up my grapple from Titan SkidSteer there in Memphis (just outside) and was very impressed.

I have not seen the Wildkats, but the skidsteerexpress one was the best price I found and I was nervous about the low price, and fortunately I am close enough to let my son (15 years old on learners permit) drive over and get some experience driving while I got to look over what I was purchasing prior to spending my money.

The only negative I have to say, was they let me in the warehouse and I started Drooling and money began flying out of my wallet :) The gentleman there treated me well, showed me all I wanted to see, gave me time to look at everything and helpfully answered my questions. Thank goodness we were in a half ton truck.