Grapple Grapple Techniques?

/ Grapple Techniques? #11  
n8wrl said:
Did you find the hose supplied by Millonzi for the front-most cylinder connection to be too short? I can't curl my LA853 all the way forward/down with the stock hose. -Brian

I don't have that problem. I haven't yet attached permanent hose mounts to the FEL so I have some extra flexibility. When I ordered the grapple I thought Millonzi did not provide any hoses so I got Wallace Tractor to make me up a full set with quick connects from grapple to rear remote. When the grapple arrived it did in fact have one three foot set but I just took those off. As I recall though the first section is still only roughly three feet. See photos. First shows grapple in position that "stretches" hydraulics the most. Second shows sloppy attachment of hoses with plenty of slack.

Attachments

• IMG_2795 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_2795 (600 x 450).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2885 600x400.jpg
    IMG_2885 600x400.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 241
   / Grapple Techniques? #12  
Island-It always amazes me when you post pictures of what you can do with that grapple! I am looking to get the Millonzi 72" grapple when I get my tractor which will be very soon! I know I probably don't need one that wide but it'll just fit better with the dimensions of my tractor. I'm sure you're right that it's not how wide the grapple is, but the weight of the tractor and the lifting capacity of the FEL.

BTW, I'm looking at the Kubota M8540 (5004lbs with a lifting capacity of 3000lbs.).

/ Grapple Techniques? #13  
Glowplug said:
Island-It always amazes me when you post pictures of what you can do with that grapple! I am looking to get the Millonzi 72" grapple when I get my tractor which will be very soon! I know I probably don't need one that wide but it'll just fit better with the dimensions of my tractor. I'm sure you're right that it's not how wide the grapple is, but the weight of the tractor and the lifting capacity of the FEL.

BTW, I'm looking at the Kubota M8540 (5004lbs with a lifting capacity of 3000lbs.).

Just remember, it's not the size of the army but the fury of the attack.:D

/ Grapple Techniques? #14  
IslandTractor said:
Just remember, it's not the size of the army but the fury of the attack.:D

Good point. Hahaha. :D It's just that the 72" would be the size that "looks" right with my tractor.

/ Grapple Techniques? #15  
Does anyone know of any thumb attachments that are electrically controlled via a solonoid instead of through hydrolics?

/ Grapple Techniques? #16  
albmn10 said:
Does anyone know of any thumb attachments that are electrically controlled via a solonoid instead of through hydrolics?

I haven't seen any discussion on TBN about electrically powered grapples/thumbs. I would guess that since all tractors already have hydraulics, that it would be much more expensive to rig up a suitably powerful electric motor/gears/battery/alternator etc than to just add a set of hydraulic remotes.

If you are thinking of electric because the hydraulic solution seems complex, don't do it. Once you decide to add the hydraulic remotes it is really pretty simple as many posts here on TBN will show.

/ Grapple Techniques? #18  
Glowplug,

For what its worth, as discussed in a previous thread I wouldn't get that big a grapple. I think there are a lot of advantages to staying small, and I can't conceive of wanting a bigger grapple - I have the 4 foot millonzi, which I've been quite please with. If anything, I could even see the advantage of a smaller grapple...

I'm buying another tractor, an L47, and will keep the same grapple.

/ Grapple Techniques? #19  
Charlesaf3 said:
I'm buying another tractor, an L47, and will keep the same grapple.

You have a Kubota B3030 and are buying a L47?!?!?:eek: You lucky dog!:D

Since a smaller grapple is better I tried to find a 4-inch wide grapple but had no luck. Maybe I'll build one and call it "The Pincher!"
(Sorry, after all, it is 2:40 am)

/ Grapple Techniques? #20  
A big grapple might be useful if you are scooping up trash at a building site or just moving a brush pile to another place (not digging the brush out initially) and had an FEL that could handle it. However, a big grapple would be a distinct disadvantage when actually pulling out brush, especially as it would decrease manuverability (between trees you did not want to remove or damage for example) and it would decrease the power available to up root bushes and small trees (weight of bigger grapple would lower overall capacity and for digging the bigger grapple would distribute FEL curl force over a broader area and make it more difficult to get the grapple under a tree or bush).

I'm sure there are reasons that 72" grapples are manufactured but this is also a situation where sometimes smaller is better, especially if brush/tree removal is the major objective.