grapple up and running!! :)

/ grapple up and running!! :) #21  
...Also, did you say you mounted your C-channel UNDER the bucket edge?
Actually that was gilbertmsg (in post #9, #9, #9...) As for the 3.5#... again, someone smarter than me needs to step in :eek::ashamed::confused2: Sorry...

/ grapple up and running!! :) #22  
Stormpetrel, I don't think you stated and I can't tell from pictures just how you did your hydraulic hookup. Did you use the power beyond or just go from the out on old valve to in on new valve? I'm sure curious? :licking:

First off great job! I was going to use the PB port as you did but ended up putting it in line from my pump to the new valve to my existing FEL valve and out to 3pt etc as 'winston1' above was enquiring. Glad it works as you expected. I use mine for my snow plow angle, but grapple setup is on the way.

Dave

/ grapple up and running!! :) #23  
I'm not the one to say but I think you would want "C" Channel instead of flat steel... less weight but stronger. For the size, someone else with more knowledge needs to step in :eek::ashamed:

Don't know about "knowledge", but here's how I just put the same grapple on my JD 305 loader. The mount is a 36" chunk of rectangular 3"x4"x1/4" wall tubing, and there is a pair of 5"x12"x3/8" steel backing plates underneath the lip of the bucket where the bottom of the tubing is bolted. Seems to be plenty rigid so far, no bending, no problems, and no welding to the bucket required. As a bonus, the tubing also served to raise the base of the 28" grapple so the tips contact the leading edge of the bucket properly when closed and give me the maximum jaw opening possible when opened. However, as others have already said, I also recommend you add a tooth bar, makes a lot of difference when handling logs, rocks, and such.

Attachments

• PB060015.JPG
    PB060015.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 215
  • PB060018.JPG
    PB060018.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 215
   / grapple up and running!! :) #24  
Yes, the 3.5# refers to pounds per lineal foot. Wide flange beams are listed in a similar manner (e.g. W8x10).

/ grapple up and running!! :)
Don't know about "knowledge", but here's how I just put the same grapple on my JD 305 loader. The mount is a 36" chunk of rectangular 3"x4"x1/4" wall tubing, and there is a pair of 5"x12"x3/8" steel backing plates underneath the lip of the bucket where the bottom of the tubing is bolted. Seems to be plenty rigid so far, no bending, no problems, and no welding to the bucket required. As a bonus, the tubing also served to raise the base of the 28" grapple so the tips contact the leading edge of the bucket properly when closed and give me the maximum jaw opening possible when opened. However, as others have already said, I also recommend you add a tooth bar, makes a lot of difference when handling logs, rocks, and such.

That is a thing of beauty........but my grapple is only 20" and works perfectly mounted on top of the bucket. I could turn the C-channel upside down, and drill & bolt it on the underside of the bucket to have the strength AND the fit...........

BTW, who made the tooth bar? I did just order one, found it on eBay.....excellent quality and price.

/ grapple up and running!! :) #26  
BTW, who made the tooth bar? I did just order one, found it on eBay.....excellent quality and price.

Iowa Farm Equipment. Bought from their Ebay outlet "tractorparts247" w/free shipping (received it in three days, but it only had to go from Iowa to Oklahoma). Solid tooth bar, they make good stuff.

/ grapple up and running!! :) #28  
Yep, that looks like a winner, should do the trick just fine. You'll be amazed at the extended utility of the bucket using a tooth bar.

/ grapple up and running!! :) #30  
I don't have a grapple but I do lift everything from the hook at the center of my bucket and recommend a full length piece of tubing. You can weld it inside the bucket so as to not disturb your grapple. You mentioned 2500 PSI but if you have a 2 inch cylinder you are looking at more like 6000 lbs of push and if its 3 inch dia cylinder, your looking at 14,000 lbs of push. Nice job. I build a log shed a few years ago and it was a balancing act lifting them up. Grapple would have been the cats meow.