Grasshopper snowblower

/ Grasshopper snowblower #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Does anyone know if a Grasshopper snowblower from a 721D will fit on a Grasshopper 725D?

/ Grasshopper snowblower #2  
I don't see why not, I have a blower for my 725 and my blower would have gone on my 721 too, but I never tried it on it.

SR

/ Grasshopper snowblower
OK, I had to do my own heavy lifting. Sawyer Rob is right in that they fit.

Let me add with a couple needed parts. First is that snowblowers have a square PTO inner shaft on most of the snowblowers. BUT, the newer mowers all have a splined pto shaft. So, buying a odd 512 or 412 mower will likely include buying a half piece of the PTO shaft for compatibility. It's no big deal if you have $235 for the half shaft and access to AMAZON or EBAY.

That's the biggie. There is also a possible need for a longer piece of chain to support the mower but I haven't figured that out yet. More when I do.

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper snowblower #4  
I too look forward to hearing more about your snow thrower.

/ Grasshopper snowblower
Post #1

Here are some reference pieces that help explain things. The first is a link to all things Grasshopper. Under Front Mount Attachments on the left you can drop down to Snowthrowers and I picked my model 512 for the exploded parts list.

All things Grasshopper

Exploded parts list for model 512

Basically, all GH snowblowers fit all Grasshopper mowers as long as they have the standard attachment hooks up front. Here a pic of those hooks and if your mower has these hooks, the snowblower will fit most anything modern.
IMG_3982.jpg

Grasshopper only seems to have made two versions of the snowblower and the biggest issue is the way it hooks up as shown above. Mine is actually a late 1990's version but connects just fine to my 2022, 725D.

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper snowblower
Post #2

The basic snowblower is pretty simple and certainly ruggedly built. It's great design and they were good enough to leave it alone. Grasshopper is real quality.

The only part that needs care and could be an issue is the gearbox that hooks to the PTO shaft and drives the rotor. On older ones like mine, they were made by Peerless Co in Indiana and are built strong. They were used until the China thing started and I was told all are now imported and $450. Point is, you want to take care of your gearbox so change the oil.

Here are some pics of mine after the draining of oil and putting the right parts back in the right holes. To drain the oil you have to remove the gearbox but it's just 4 bolts underneath and is easy. Getting the old shear bolt out was not easy because prior owner had the wrong size and left it loose.

IMG_3979.jpgIMG_3975.jpg
Here's a pic of the installed gearbox after draining. You have to drain the oil from the top vent plug you can see in the first photo. I could not remove the bottom plug so took the one on the side out for a vent. You can see it in the second photo. They put some sort of sealant on it that I do not have so I got a longer (1") set screw, put it in the distance the old plug went in, put a gasket on it and double-nutted it. If it leaks I'll buy some sealant. It will leak without sealant and teflon tape wont help. I tried. The fill on mine was 16 oz of 80W90 gear oil and the old stuff was pretty dirty.

The shear bolt on mine was 1/4" x 2 1/4" and I had 1/4" x 2 1/2" so that works fine. Some newer ones are 5/16". You can see the longer shear bolt sticking out. The other plugs are 3/8" NC socket head screws. Make sure to remove burrs on the stub ends of the gearbox so if the bolt shears you don't damage the brass liner of the stub shafts. I grease my stubs before install and drop oil in the set screw holes near the shear bolt. I think that's why they're there.

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper snowblower #7  
I really wish that John Deere would start making single stage snow blowers again so I
put one on my E100 :cry:

/ Grasshopper snowblower #8  
Please check with the folks at Boston Gear
as they may very well have a compatable
gear box for that beautiful snow thrower.

/ Grasshopper snowblower
Post #3 of 3

The bigger issue was connecting the PTO of the 725D to the snowblower. There were changes along the way to a rectangular driveshaft and splined end on mowers and tractor units. Bottom line is you will need a splined PTO half shaft to connect from the blower half shaft to the tractor.

They are on EBAY and Amazon and all are the same and $235 (ish). I didn't know some things then that I do now so I ordered from my dealer and to my surprise it was cheaper at $218. So I lucked out. Ask if you want a pic of PTO stub.

Hooking up is easy but note that one aspect of older blowers is not used on newer setups. It is the hook and chain shown in the photo below. They were used on earlier tractor versions but the company said not to hook them up. They won't hook up anyway because you need longer chains, etc.

IMG_3981.jpg

To raise and lower the blower is a little hard but shoveling snow is harder. The new blowers have an electric assist thing but it likely would be expensive and a hassle to fit.

You put on and remove just like the mower deck. Of note is to not miss the drive shaft grease fittings under the shield . In the next pic you can see the drive shaft. With the unit on the ground I flipped it up and could reach underneath with the grease gun.

IMG_3980.jpg

Fittings on U joint and shaft tucked up and under.

EDIT--Also, I got an owner's manual sent as a free PDF from Grasshopper. Go to their site and figure out how to get it. You'll need your model number and serial number and they email it promptly. It's only a few pages but is helpful.

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper snowblower
Here's the part needed for the front of the PTO that will connect the stub shaft on the snowblower to the tractor/mower.

IMG_3986.jpg