Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #61  
Are we really surprised that those who were too dense to figure out the tip of their grease gun in 40 years of use are also too dense to keep quiet about it on a forum?

xtn

PS - I didn't know either, but I'm only 42 so I obviously wasn't supposed to know yet.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #62  
Over the Easter weekend, I discretely asked my BIL and his son who is a 31 year old certified auto mechanic, who makes his living in that trade, the "what would you do if your grease gun was stuck on a grease fitting" question. The old man said "well first of all the tip adjusts by unscrewing it".. when the auto mechanic was asked.. he said " well, I don't usually have much trouble with them, and then said maybe push it sideways, get a screwdriver or pair pliers and yank harder, etc.." He did not know they adjusted by loosening the tip. The auto mechanic is a very bright individual in both mechanical and electronic fields. The old man (age 59) was a mechanic for many years and went into process control engineering.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #63  
Are we really surprised that those who were too dense to figure out the tip of their grease gun in 40 years of use are also too dense to keep quiet about it on a forum?

xtn

PS - I didn't know either, but I'm only 42 so I obviously wasn't supposed to know yet.

Heck of a comment from a Noob...trying to win friends and influence people?

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #64  
   / Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #66  
Well I did'nt learn it from this thread, but did recently when I bought a new grease gun. I think many of us here (maybe only me) have only had old well worn grease guns that will go on and off a fitting easily with the tip fully tightened. Well, as they say "A poor excuse is better than none". LOL

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #68  
Now I really feel stupid. I'm 59 years old and have been greasing equipment and autos since I was probably 14-15 years old, and I didn't know that. Is that written in a different language in the instructions, I can only read English. I haven't had one that wouldn't come off too many times. Normaly it is the opposite for me. I can't get mine to stay on, "so maybe it needs tightened a little" I swear at it everytime I use it and even went out and bought a new tip awhile ago. I will be going out and checking that today.
Thanks soo much for the tip.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #69  
Now I really feel stupid. I'm 59 years old and have been greasing equipment and autos since I was probably 14-15 years old, and I didn't know that. Is that written in a different language in the instructions, I can only read English. I haven't had one that wouldn't come off too many times. Normaly it is the opposite for me. I can't get mine to stay on, "so maybe it needs tightened a little" I swear at it everytime I use it and even went out and bought a new tip awhile ago. I will be going out and checking that today.
Thanks soo much for the tip.

I asked two mechanics today if they knew it and neither did, and one fessed up to buying a new tip for his because the fit was too loose. And as for the instructions, I dont think it is in the instructions, they mostly deal with getting grease in the darn things, I think they assume everyone already knows how to adjust the tip. I think everyone hates messing with grease guns for one reason or another, if its not the tip, then loading them and using the nasty things is its own problem. I changed oil on my JD lawn tractor the other day, and when I got done, I thought to myself, next time I will open the oil bottle, and slather my hands and arms in oil, so that it will be nice CLEAN oil on me instead of filthy oil.:laughing: Oh well all part of the fun.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver