Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #12  
Does anyone have trouble with removing their grease gun from zerk fittings? This is my first Kubota, just wondering if maybe the grease fitting are an odd size. I'm afraid of breaking something. My grease gun seams to go on somewhat easily. There is some initial resistance, but the gun pops on with very little effort. However, after I give it a little grease, the gun does not want to come off. I managed to hit all the fittings on one side of the loader, but I was literally sweating from the effort required.

I broke a zerk grease fitting on my Kubota, & then started really focusing on the problem. I ended up finding out that, while I didn't realize it, my grease gun's coupler is a two-piece aka split unit (I now believe most/ all are??), & it took a vice, vice grips, & incredible force to break it free the first time ... I wonder how hard they twist these things on at the factory???? :confused2: Must be done by a machine that's out of adjustment & over-crankin' 'em.

Anyway, once you have a smooth-working two-piece coupler, when the coupler gets stuck on a zerk, you can just twist the coupler loose just a tiny bit, & the coupler should just about fall right off the zerk :thumbsup:

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #13  
   / Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #14  
been running equiptment all my life we call em ,,,,get this greese fittings

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #16  
yes sorry that was not very nice of me ,
It is just that i work with a slew of engineers and they go out of thier way to find the most difficult way to describe somthing. I think they think it makes them seem smart. I just had a meeting with 3 of them the other day and after listening to them ramble on about all the information they had collected i spoke up and showed them a 3 ring binder i had with all the info they just spewed and a whole lot more. I then told them that i had put all this info together at thier request back in 2002.Then i started off next with " Boys i may not be an Engineer but...." Probobly not wise fo my career but very much needed.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #17  
Hope it's not in terribly bad form to resurrect such an old thread. But if anyone else comes in here searching the same problem I'll add what I hope is useful info.

I got here from a google search "stuck zerk". Thanks for the info. Someone pointed out at another board that when this does happen, and since it does not happen consistently even with the same gun, it is likely an indication that pressure is going unrelieved beyond the gun's coupler itself. That's either a clogged zerk, very bad news since you're not getting any grease where you wanted it, you need to remove the zerk and clean/unclog it........ or it's simply a very tight bearing that does not provide any egress of the old grease while you're pressing in the new.

The latter was the case in my situation. I replaced a shaft and bronze bushing. There is a zerk on the arbor and a hole drilled in the bushing. The bushings needed honing after pressing into the arbors and the shaft was a close fit. This situation required very significant pressure from the gun to get grease into the bushing. If I'd known what was happening I might have simply loosened the barrel/coupler on the gun tip to relieve the pressure. Instead I got so angry that I took a wrench to the gun tip and snapped off the dang zerk fitting. Much swearing and throwing of tools ensued:)

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #18  
A lot of times it helps if you can spin the shaft while pumping grease, especially with new bushings. As for clogged zerks, I bought an assortment from napa for ~$20. when I can't get grease into one, I replace zerk. If you don't want an assortment, go to your local ace, Here they sell them around 20 cents a piece. They are so cheap, it's not really worth trying to clean them. The come in sae and metric, and are pipe threaded, so don't go crazy tightening them down, or you will strip your hole and not have a zerk at all.

/ Grease Gun Stuck to Zerks #19  
I never knew the $@&); grease gun nozzle was adjustable!! How I got through life without knowing that valuable tidbit is beyond me, but I'm glad you brought this thread back to life! I'll claim that some Kubota zeros are a bit loose/weak, especially those pressed into the anti scalp rollers, but some that I've detached we're probably my fault. Thanks for the education!

Last edited: