Grease vs Gear Oil

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #11  
Rockin' G Ranch said:
My Agric tiller gear box leaks so bad that I can't keep it full for long jobs. I don't want to tear it apart to change all of the gaskets and oil seal. What do ya'll think about just filling the gear box with grease?

I don't think it'll work...Oil in the soil is not the best way to till...Fix it or buy another gearbox...:rolleyes:

/ Grease vs Gear Oil
Glowplug said:
There is a such thing as NLGI #00 grease. It's sort of a semi-liquid state, like a slime. It will flow like an oil but is much more viscous. It's basically what they put in the Rhino mower gearboxes. Works really well for leaky gearboxes. I know that Texas Refinery Corp. makes some that looks to be a superior product. It is called Millenium 2200. I actually had thought about getting some and replacing all my gear oil with it.

I talked to Patty at Texas Refinery Corp and she recommended using the 880 Crown and Chassis Grease (NGLI #00). They only sell to end users so the product must be ordered directly from them. A 5 gallon pail cost $100 plus shipping.
After learning that I oversee offshore drilling rigs she offered to send me a free quart to try out. I will keep the group informed of the results.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #14  
Rockin' G Ranch said:
My Agric tiller gear box leaks so bad that I can't keep it full for long jobs. I don't want to tear it apart to change all of the gaskets and oil seal. What do ya'll think about just filling the gear box with grease?

Use a 0 or 00 grease.. like JD cornhead grease ( made for corn head gear boxes )..

I guess mighty dodge and amp sucker have never seen a flowable grease.

soundguy

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #15  
Just curious here, is this semi fluid grease better than using gear oil? What's the benefit? No leaks? cooler operation? I'm interested. I aint gonna by 5 gallons but I'm interested.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #16  
Some applications spec a nlgi 00 grease. JD makes their own brand of 'cornhead grease' for instance.

I have a large rotary mower that states you can use 85/140 or 200/300w or 00# grease in it.

Flowable grease generally doesn't leak out of a weapy/leaky seal like a gear oil would.

Regular grease will form a cavity around a moving part.. and unless it melts or is vibrated enough to slump and be picked back up.. it can starve the gear of lube running in that hollow cavity. 00 grease will slump and slowly flow and thus fill voids and be picked back up by gears and bearings... etc.

For a system needing gear oil.. go with oil... Grease in an oil system is a bandaid. ( depending ont he application.. it works not very well, or pretty good.. all things considered ).

Soundguy

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #17  
Rockin' G Ranch said:
I talked to Patty at Texas Refinery Corp and she recommended using the 880 Crown and Chassis Grease (NGLI #00). They only sell to end users so the product must be ordered directly from them. A 5 gallon pail cost $100 plus shipping.
After learning that I oversee offshore drilling rigs she offered to send me a free quart to try out. I will keep the group informed of the results.

That looks to be an excellent option as well. I didn't know that the 880 C&C Grease was available as NGLI #00. Usually TRC lubricants have to be ordered through distributors. Actually one of the members here, DieselPower, is a distributor. I have been meaning to get some grease from him for a long time now. Actually I was going to buy Moly 880 C&C grease as a general purpose grease including for my loader and get the Millenium 2200 to fill my gearboxes with. The Millenium 2200 has a Timken OK load rating of 65! Now I'm no lubricant expert but that just seems crazy insane for a flowable grease!!

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #18  
Bird said:
I, too, would be reluctant to use grease instead of gear oil, but I had a neighbor who said he filled his with grease when the gear oil leaked out and that he'd been using it that way for 10 years.:rolleyes:
i have a friend that goes that with all his stuff... seems to work for him .. i would not recommend it

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #19  
born2ride said:
i have a friend that goes that with all his stuff... seems to work for him .. i would not recommend it
It seems that it works long term on farm machinery for everybody that does it. Nobody recommends it tho.:rolleyes:
larry

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #20  
I have a gearbox that still leaks after a new seal and careful inspection. I think the shaft is a little wiggly. Not really reparable. I'd need a new gearbox. So I put a few shots of grease in with the gear oil. That did the trick. Not a single drop since.