Grease vs Gear Oil

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #21  
Wigly shafts that need new seals usually also need new bearings... A bad bearing will let shaft wobble eat a seal.

soundguy

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #22  
excellent point. when you get ready to rebuild, you might need to ask yourself why the seals went bad. could it be a bad bearing, and if so, was it ever run dry (no oil) by previous owner and did it get hot frying more seals or bearings or shafts in the process?

amp

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #23  
Rockin' G Ranch said:
My Agric tiller gear box leaks so bad that I can't keep it full for long jobs. I don't want to tear it apart to change all of the gaskets and oil seal. What do ya'll think about just filling the gear box with grease?
Yes you can cure your problems if you would use EP-0 grease. You will have problems with grease gun grease.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #24  
Soundguy said:
Use a 0 or 00 grease.. like JD cornhead grease ( made for corn head gear boxes )..

I guess mighty dodge and amp sucker have never seen a flowable grease.

soundguy
Make sure the Grease has the EP additive. Corn head or cotton spindle grease without the EP additive will cause premature gear wear.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #25  
   / Grease vs Gear Oil
I talked to Patty at Texas Refinery Corp and she recommended using the 880 Crown and Chassis Grease (NGLI #00). They only sell to end users so the product must be ordered directly from them. A 5 gallon pail cost $100 plus shipping.
After learning that I oversee offshore drilling rigs she offered to send me a free quart to try out. I will keep the group informed of the results.
Well, I finally tried the 880 Crown and Chassis Grease (NGLI #00) in my tiller gearbox. It is a very thick grease but I could barely pour it out of the container in to the gearbox. I used the tiller all day without a single drop leaking out. This stuff is great! I would highly recommend it to anyone with a gearbox that leaks.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #27  
What would be the risk in substituting cornhead grease for 90W gear oil on a flail mower gearbox? My gearbox doesn't leak through seals/gaskets but the breather cap is situated right above the gears which throw oil at the cap then leaks out through the breather vent. I am assuming that cornhead grease would be less likely to be flung up into the breather cap and therefore would not leak out.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #28  
If it was me, and the seals were good.. I wouldn't go to a grease.. even a light one.. I'd make the breather cap taller with some fittings and a short stand of pipe..

soundguy

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #29  
If it was me, and the seals were good.. I wouldn't go to a grease.. even a light one.. I'd make the breather cap taller with some fittings and a short stand of pipe..

soundguy

I've tried.:( Trouble is it is an Italian gearbox and the threads are not quite 3/8 NPT and not quite the British equivalent. I guess I'll keep trying to find the right size extension piece. Ordered a metric/imperial thread gauge so maybe that will help track down the right piece.

/ Grease vs Gear Oil #30  
It's got to be some sort of standard thread... find what it is.. and use it.

soundguy