Green ceramic part???

/ Green ceramic part??? #1  

marshamartinis

Tractor
51 8n ford
Does anyone know what the little green ceramic part that is attached to the alternator of a 8n ford tractor is called... I inherited my grandpas tractor & it quit on me today, and this piece broke. I need to know what it is to fix it.
Thanks for your help.

/ Green ceramic part??? #2  
:welcome:

Can you take a picture of it and post?
Has the 8N been converted to 12v system, thus the alternator?

/ Green ceramic part??? #3  
Does it have metal in it too? I'll be honest and say I know little about 8n's but a lot of older cars have ceramic pieces in the electrical system (resisters).

A picture would be worth a thousand words, can you take a picture of it?

/ Green ceramic part??? #4  
If if is it to insulate the wiring from the frame, it is often called a bushing.
If I ever found a broken one needing a bit of work, I have always wanted to try JB Weld for its electrical insulation properties.

/ Green ceramic part???
I believe it to be the ignition resistor. I replaced it with a universal one & now its not running right. belt squeals when engine is accelerated. and a miss. Could the original one breaking cause something else to go out of whack?

mail

/ Green ceramic part??? #6  
Need more info.

/ Green ceramic part???
such as what? I am new to this whole tractor thing & am trying to make due with what I have.

/ Green ceramic part??? #8  
such as what? I am new to this whole tractor thing & am trying to make due with what I have.

I think what is being asked is more info regarding a description.

Is it round?
Is it rectangular?
Dimensions?
Is it solely ceramic?
How did it mount?

Just a few questions I could think of that may get a knowledgeable person to immediately chime in a say exactly what it is. ;)

/ Green ceramic part??? #9  
Reread the posts here. You gotta help people to help you.

The original electrical system was 6v DC. Is yours 12v DC?: Put a volt meter on the battery terminals; Check the battery label; count the battery cells (2 volts per hole: 3 holes=6 volt, 6 holes=12 volt.

You went from saying a green ceramic part ON the alternator to thinking its a ignition resistor. why? If indeed you have a 12v system, it should have a dropping resistor in the ignition circuit but it wouldn't typically be attached to the alternator(can't say its not that).

I put togather a 6v to 12v years ago. It was a Delco Remy single wire type (only one wire connected to the alternator) and that needed a resistor jumpered from the wire terminal to another terminal on the alternator to "excite" the field. I can't remember the exacts offhand. How many wires are attached to your alternator.

Exactly what was the green ceramic part attached to.

You mentioned a squealing belt. Is that from an overload, bad alternator, or just a loose belt?

Throw out some info. Somebody will have an answer.

/ Green ceramic part??? #10  
Many know their way around that tractor, and a picture would surely help people understand what your are talking about. Most ballast resistors I have seen over the years, are white. And most bushings for getting the wiring through the shell of an alternator or generator have been either white or black.