Green ceramic part???

/ Green ceramic part???
ok did some further checking & it is a generator it is connected to. It was my bad assuming it was an alternator. I posted a photo of the green piece in a previous post. there are 2 wires, they attach on 2 prongs from the green thing. If you are sitting on the seat of the tractor, you can look down to the right side of the motor & what I called the alternator is attached on that side. I know I stated that I thought that was what it was called, I came to that conclusion from looking through all the photos posted online. I greatly appreciate all of your input.

/ Green ceramic part??? #12  
Maybe others can see the pic in your previous post.

mail

I can't see but a red X .

Maybe, if the pic is on your computer, you would click on "Go Advanced" button and "manage attachments" button to Browse your computer for that pic. It will then be attached to your post (if in the right format). Lots of "ifs" ;)

Being this is a generator, that likely is still a 6 volt system (three fill plugs on the battery instead of 6 ? ). A close-up pic of the ceramic part you mention may help.

Also, a thought is to remove the generator and take it to a shop for repair, or into a NAPA store for the broken part. Any neighbors that are into tractors that might be able to look at it for you?

/ Green ceramic part??? #13  
ok did some further checking & it is a generator it is connected to. It was my bad assuming it was an alternator. I posted a photo of the green piece in a previous post. there are 2 wires, they attach on 2 prongs from the green thing. If you are sitting on the seat of the tractor, you can look down to the right side of the motor & what I called the alternator is attached on that side. I know I stated that I thought that was what it was called, I came to that conclusion from looking through all the photos posted online. I greatly appreciate all of your input.

Being that you see the generator on the right side of the '51 8N, then I suspect you have the distributor on the front of the engine and not on the right side. That, I think, would be an early '51 8N Ford before they switched the distributor to the side and the generator to the left side. Does this make any sense?

Anxious to see your pics.

/ Green ceramic part??? #14  
If it was a ballast resistor, did it look like any of the resistors on the page below:

pictures of ballast resistor - Google Search

Does it have a wire attached to one or both ends?? Maybe it's just an insulator for the connection point where a wire attaches to the alternator? Most ballast resistors I have seen were mounted somewhere other than on the alternator, but I'm not familiar with the 8N's so that very well could be where they are mounted at.

/ Green ceramic part??? #15  
I'm going to mention about the green. I have seen the white ceramic turn green when parked out in the open under trees (oak in my area). Might explain the green color. :cool:

/ Green ceramic part??? #16  
could you be looking at a ballast resistor for the ignition coil if not sure go to local parts store get them to show you a ballast resistor for 1976 plymouth car may look different but appearence might let you know your are on right track. if it is a ballast resistor for ignition coil could mean some one changed to new style coil from old style which had built in resisitor and when these generally go bad vehicle will not run. if you are hearing belt squeal from generator make sure belt is NOT tight if belt is to tight it is not good for generator yes generator belts do run kinda loose not tight, let us know

mitch