Buying Advice Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start?

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #11  
No problem, my wife was the one that told me to get my Boomer 8N. She thought it was pretty. My TC has HST. My Boomer 8N has CVT. My wife drives both of them without any problems. For loader work I think HST is the better option. If you were always plowing or using the cutter gears are just fine. Like Vince said if you go with gears make sure it has shuttle shift so you can go from forward to reverse without clutching. That gets old on my knee quick having to push in the clutch to change directions.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #12  
Gears vs HST is always a hot topic and never really settled, in looking on lots and talking to sales people, you will find in the size you are shopping HST is the preferred choice by a large margin. I know many who grew up on geared tractors and really didn't think the HST was that big of a deal. We have tractors from 22 to 85 HP, crash box, synchro-shuttle, hydraulic-shuttle and in that size, I won't consider gears. A few years ago a friend bought his ideal retirement tractor with a synchro-shuttle. After using my HST quite a bit, he wishes he had gone HST. He really likes our hydraulic-shuttle also in the larger machines, it is just not available in many of the tractors of the size you are shopping.

For many of us, age has pushed us away from geared units as foot clutching really gets tiresome as father time catches up.

When looking at cutters, consider your uses and weight of the cutter. I use a 6' LP that weighs 1100 pounds with my L5740HSTC and the front end gets really light on anything other than flat ground, many including me find mowing without a FEL is smoother and gives much better visibility.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #13  
...to the question of gear drive vs HST. Now I come from the land of stick shift...
I was going to get a geared tractor 10 years ago; now being 10 years older... I'm super glad I got the HST, for the wife to be able to drive ;) :D

I have lots of field edges that I back the mower under... plus enough trees to make mowing nice with HST. I have cruise control for the wide open areas. Also, HST is great when backing up to hook up an implement, you can inch up to an implement.

Welcome to TBN and NC!

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #14  
Welcome to the USA & forum. I have 35 flat, lightly rolling acres that 2wd tractors have gotten me by for 30 plus years. We have four horses & a mini jack that i rotate on different fields, horses are hard on pasture being they eat right at the ground instead of nibbling higher like a cow, make sure you keep it fertilized/limed every few years to help growth & control weeds.
I have FEL on my tractor & use it for more things than it was intended to do, as most folks do, with the gear drive & 2wd, i just take a little longer doing it.
If you ask most old time farmers they'll tell you that a tractor was meant for pulling, nothing else. Fortunately, i have friends & family that have construction equipment that i can use when i have to do a bigger job for which a tractor isn't designed to do.
As stated, dealer support through the sell & service are big factors regardless of color, ask neighbors with tractors, look at dealers on the net & read reviews to help you decide & good luck.

Ronnie

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #15  
Something that is not frequently brought up on TBN is how much safer HST is over geared tractors.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #17  
A geared tractor moves regardless of whether you are pressing a self returning "gas" pedal. So if you are pulling incorectly you can easily flip backwards. If a tractor is made pre safety kill switch on the seat or if it is not funtioning-- many many people have run them selves over by falling off or starting the tractor by starting it while standing next to it.
HST is self breaking (unless a cruise contol is set) so if something bad happens the tractor quickly stops on its own.
It's not fool proof and certainly geared tractors can be operated safely... Just not as easy to be safe.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #18  
A geared tractor moves regardless of whether you are pressing a self returning "gas" pedal. So if you are pulling incorectly you can easily flip backwards. If a tractor is made pre safety kill switch on the seat or if it is not funtioning-- many many people have run them selves over by falling off or starting the tractor by starting it while standing next to it. HST is self breaking (unless a cruise contol is set) so if something bad happens the tractor quickly stops on its own. It's not fool proof and certainly geared tractors can be operated safely... Just not as easy to be safe.

Thanks. That makes sense.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #19  
Why is that?

When working in close proximity to people on the ground, for instance with a ground man, you have have more control, less chance of slipping your foot off of a clutch, you can go so much slower, and the tractor stops by itself. Also working right up next to buildings and fences is safer for the same reasons. More control, and can go slower one instant and fast the next all under control of your right foot. Hooking up implements on the front or rear is way easier to inch up to hook up. Not saying you don't get good at using gear/clutch, it is just easier, especially as you get older, and less prone to mistakes.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #20  
For sure HST for a first time tractor owner. Preferable HST has 3 ranges. High Medium Low. Front End Loader and four wheel drive. The front wheel drive is very helpful when using the FEL. If you are going with 6 foot implements then something on the order of an L model in Kubota. Recently upgraded from a B3200 (great little tractor) to an L3901. Am loving the L model. As an option I added "cruise control" which allows me to set the speed and maintain it without holding my foot on the treadle all the time. Would recommend that option if pasture mowing will be done. Both my HST tractors have been very nimble, the L39 maybe more so than the B3200. I do most of my work in the Low range with plenty of speed. I have mowed some in Medium but find myself dropping back to Low. H is for transport only.

I don't like how Kubota does rear remotes. The LS (blue) tractors have great rear remotes setups standard. My Kubotas have been very reliable. Financing is great with $0 down, 0% interest and 60 month payout. Dealers do make a difference.

The Orange tractors really go after the hobby farmer market while the Green and Red (Case IH) go after the 100hp and up users. Some dealers are even classified by the market they sell to. If you are looking at a trailer package be sure the trailer is long enough to accommodate the FEL and the rear mower lowered all the way on the trailer deck. In Texas the FEL and the rear implement have to be strapped down for transport as well as the tractor. The longer trailer deck helps eliminate fish tailing when towing with a more balanced load. Your state may have different rules.