Buying Advice Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start?

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #31  
I skimmed the thread, so I may have missed it, but why are 6ft implements being looked at? I have the Kioti CK35H, and have a 5ft cutter, and a light duty 7ft rear blade. The tractor I think would handle 6ft cutter and heavy blade no issue, but I wouldn't want to go with any less HP. If you want 6ft implements, I'd go no lower than a good heavy 35HP tractor (the L3301 doesn't count as such).

I have a very low opinion of the JD 3Es, both from owner experience and specs, I think the Kubota is much better in that particular class. The L3901 is a good tractor, no frills, but will do what you want. I would not step down to the 3301. New Holland has some good tractors in that class, as does LS. With Kioti, the CK35 priced out at about the same as the L3200, the L3301's tier 3 predecessor. IMO, the CK way outperformed the Kubota in value in terms of specs and features.

On HST, it's great, I don't think you'd lose much power if any, and I don't care how good you are with a stick, it's easier to use. Also, a tractor geared tranny operates differently from that of a car, entirely different operation method. I've run automatic and stick cars, shuttle shift, power shuttle, straight gear and HST tractors, and the easiest by far is the HST.

Last note, look at weight and hydraulic capacity on tractors in addition to the other stuff. HP and features are important, don't get me wrong, but they can be stuck on anything, hydro cap and weight really tell you how that tractor is built and what it can really do.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #32  
I also cut my teeth on clutch tractors and am very happy with the one I bought , they tend to be a bit cheaper than hst. MY recommendation would be dealer - dealer - dealer get a feel for the ones you are concidering and all else equal choose the dealer and you will not regret it.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #33  
If you're going to be mowing 10 acres with a 5 or 6 foot cutter and an HST tractor, be sure it has cruise control.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #34  
Also, a tractor geared tranny operates differently from that of a car, entirely different operation method.
I'm curious what is so different in operation.
I know my tractors transmission is synchronized and it will shift through the gears while on the go (forward or reverse) just as smooth and easy as a car.

Last edited:
   / Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #35  
Massey red!

1742 or 49 (if you need a bigger loader).

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #36  
Hahaha! And I have just sent emails out to several Kioti dealers to see the response....and with my age, it will be HST, just for the sake of my knees (Years of playing Rugby, which is like American Football without the padding and helmets!)

Have got the Kioti dealers looking at CK35 and CK4010.........does your brother have a view on their service backup?

Good choices I think but I *am* a little biased.

Our CK is just turning 1 year old and so far I can't find a single thing to complain about on the tractor itself (important part next) *for what we do*
Which is minor land clearing (brush, fallen tree limbs, old stumps, etc), dirt moving, driveway maintenance, misc "Hobby Farm" chores, and a LOT of rotary cutting. (4 acre fairly flat field, 16 acre hilly plot (some places fairly steep) w/ roughly 10 acres as pasture the rest lightly wooded. We're running a 5 foot cutter simply because we found a good deal on one before we found a deal on a 6 foot. Based on how the tractor runs with the 5 foot, I don't think it would have any trouble with a 6 and we cut some fairly tall / thick stuff and on some steep hills in places.

That being said ... at the time we were shopping the mowing chore was the biggest thing on our minds and not all the other "stuff" we could/would be doing. Looking back a 40HP (most likely the DK40 then) would have been a better choice (and offered some features the CK series only has as options / add-on's)

The DK series is going to be a heavier tractor with a higher 3pt & FEL lift capacity than the CK - If you're planning on buying / moving hay in round bales this becomes important but I also know that budget is important too.

As for your question on service - your local dealer is going to be the most important link in the chain; but Kioti has (from what I have read & seen) a pretty good reputation for standing behind their product. Check out this (29 page) thread in the Kioti area ck35 hst shattered piston 400 hours *spoiler alert* Kioti ended up shipping a complete new engine to be installed at owner expense(parts, labor, and shipping) for an out of warranty defect. Final cost was less than $1k

Also - you mentioned some of the "Trailer Packages". Be very careful when you look at these. Some (not all) dealers are putting very plain, low end tractors in the package to get low prices and then as you ask about features they keep adding on or moving you up to other models. Not saying this is wrong, bad, or intentionally misleading; just be sure you are comparing apples to apples before you look at the price tag.

When we were shopping, we looked at Kioti, Kubota, Massy, New Holland, Mahindra, Branson, and (via the web/e-mail only) LS & TYM. We ended up with the best features to dollars in our price range w/ the Kioti.

In the end - that & dealer support after the sale are the most important factors over brand / color.

Good luck with your purchase.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #37  
When working in close proximity to people on the ground, for instance with a ground man, you have have more control, less chance of slipping your foot off of a clutch, you can go so much slower, and the tractor stops by itself. Also working right up next to buildings and fences is safer for the same reasons. More control, and can go slower one instant and fast the next all under control of your right foot. Hooking up implements on the front or rear is way easier to inch up to hook up. Not saying you don't get good at using gear/clutch, it is just easier, especially as you get older, and less prone to mistakes.

All valid concerns. However, if I'm too old and frail to safely operate a clutched piece of machinery it's probably time for someone to take the keys away from me and bar me from any equipment. Using a clutch is a small part of what it takes to be an operator in my opinion. But, I've been known to "bump" into my fence, trees, sign posts and my trailer with both HST and geared tractors. I've still got the keys, so far ......

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start? #38  
I'm curious what is so different in operation.
I know my tractors transmission is synchronized and it will shift through the gears while on the go (forward or reverse) just as smooth and easy as a car.

Right, but I can put my H in 5th from a dead stop, hit the gas, let off the clutch (slowly) and off we go. Hate to think what would happen with a car if I tried that, (complete stall). Also, I put the tractor in a gear, and I have much more latitude on throttle position in a certain gear than a car. I know I can't shift gears in motion with the H, but it still holds true on a sync shuttle. There true it is more like a car, but again, you can have a really low throttle setting and a really high gear and vice versa, not really possible in a car. Also, sure you can shift gears on the go, but that's not a huge speed or power difference. To shift range, unless you have a really big tractor, you have to stop. So again you're starting out in a road gear from a stop, not an immediate acceleration sure, but you're gaining speed by throttle movement not by changing gears. Tractors are mostly meant to put power to the ground, not go as fast as possible in a certain gear/throttle setting. Also, a car cannot go from 3F to 3R by a flick of a lever and small deceleration. Bottom line is that in a tractor the gear you use and engine rpms are not as dependent on each other as in a car. Similar, but different.

/ Green? Orange? Red? The other Orange? Where to start?
Just a big thank you to all the people who took the time to chip in here. Going to go quiet for a while as I ship the family to the US. Pictures of what I end up with to follow! But from what is said, a lot clearer and fully armed to meet the dealers!!!!