Ground Breaking Advice

/ Ground Breaking Advice #31  
I also prefer a chisel. Moldboard's have their place but they are tricky to use. You have to really pay attention and have them set right or you can screw things up in a hurry. They are directional and you also have a dead furrow to deal with. Not that they are rocket science but they are not like a chisel where you just hook it on and go. With a chisel it is not a big deal if you make overlaps or go different directions or whatever.

/ Ground Breaking Advice #32  
For my property a chisel plow wins hands down. With the moldboard, the residue ends up in a band between each standard and makes for poor water and air management. With the chisel that turns you get good fracturing and the residue gets mixed and incorporated into the soil.

Most people I know use the chisel plow.

There nothing wrong with using a chisel. I still run mine in the fall ahead of wheat. It's cheaper and faster than a bottom plow, with less loss of moisture, but I would not say it's better. I'm not suggesting that any one break every year, but I do try and do it every five years.

Since the OP said his field has been in grass for many years, I would break it, as it will help keep the grass/weeds from coming back. I do agree that if he doesn't already own one OR know how to set it, then use the chisel.

/ Ground Breaking Advice #33  
I also prefer a chisel. Moldboard's have their place but they are tricky to use. You have to really pay attention and have them set right or you can screw things up in a hurry. They are directional and you also have a dead furrow to deal with. Not that they are rocket science but they are not like a chisel where you just hook it on and go. With a chisel it is not a big deal if you make overlaps or go different directions or whatever.

I agree, setting a bottom plow is not rocket science, but some people do have a hard time with it and if you don't know what your doing you can make a mess. I learned to set one at a early age and once it's set, it's easy to run.

I also agree that furrows are not fun to deal with, but I now run a 5 bottom switch plow which makes life's lot easier.

/ Ground Breaking Advice #34  
I guess a lot depends on where you are as to what type of ground breaking you do. Most farms are now no till or minimal till. I haven't seen a moldboard plow used anywhere around me in 40 years. They are good for turning under cover crops but no one does that anymore, just pour on more commercial fertilizer to replace the old fashioned winter cover crop like vetch that provided lots of nitrogen.
TRUE chisel plows are good for breaking up the hard pan that forms in many areas, allowing for water to penetrate deeper into the soil, and they aerate the soil to allow the microbes to do their job better.
For just reseeding, a chisel plow pulled 4-6" deep should break up the ground well enough to seed followed by a light disking to cover the seed.

/ Ground Breaking Advice #35  
Where can you get a chisel plow?

/ Ground Breaking Advice
I plan on planting annuals not sure just what type yet. Is only want to kill the grass off and loosen the ground for seeding. Am sure I will be adding lime and fertilizer to the mix.

/ Ground Breaking Advice #37  
Everything attachments is one of the few carriers I've seen that carry a chisel plow for a typical CUT. Tractor Ripper, Field Cultivator, Tillage Tool

If your looking at putting in fall annuals you have sometime to work with. First thing I would do is what ever you plan to knock down is to nail it with glyphosate to kill all the vegetation. It will be much easier to break up if everything is dead.

If you can disc than give a couple days to die off and disc again it will break up much easier.