Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #11  
I guess mine is about 15 yrs old I don't have the mod.# on hand. It does have the SS. tub.I have replaced the door gasket. Kitchenaid is a high end whirlpool.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #12  
We're buying appliances for our new house, and I find customer reviews to be all over the place. Even the top rated consumer reports models will have bad customer reviews if you look hard enough. I concluded that we should buy the ones we liked the best that were as high rated as possible, but make sure we get a good deal in case they turn out to have problems past the warranty.

For dishwashers, we started looking at Bosch, which were highly rated by CR as noted. But we didn't like the racks, or the smaller size of the interior. Ended up with a Kenmore Elite model on sale last weekend, which also had decent ratings from CR (plus it's super quiet at 46 dB).

In the past we've had a cheapo GE dishwasher that was junk, and currently have a Frigidaire that has been fine. I am pretty sure the Kenmore we bought is made by GE, but hopefully it will do better than the previous GE.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #14  
I am pretty sure the Kenmore we bought is made by GE, but hopefully it will do better than the previous GE.

Probably whirlpool. Hard to say as sears will contract out to the lowest bidder. You couldn't give me an appliance whith GE on it

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #15  
My farm house has some old Kenmore appliances in there and all still work well. we bought NEW Stuff and have had 3 failures and required repairs & parts. The GE Washer was a joke, finally told HD to take back the washer (it was mid range High Cap washer.) Low Water use type machine, toss in a load of clothing the the top layers would not even get wet. First they brought a different unit same thing it did same thing we ran a load with them on site. It had a glass lid which was nice as you could see the laundry would not move. Then they said it was the Low Water model so they had a 3rd one in the store. I told them to Keep em all and give me my $ back. (HH Gregg had some front loads on sale too,) the manager @ HD gave us a High End Whirlpool Low Water use. It has worked pretty well other than fact the thing is rather complicated. It is couple years old and seems to be working real well.

the Drier is a couple years OLDER but have had similar issues with it. I've repaired it 4 times now usually overheat thermostats burn out, it is a Maytag.

Mark

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #16  
My advise is to avoid samsung. Their customer service sucks. It took 6 months to fix my dishwasher. Microwave is acting screwy now. All out of warranty of course. Garbage.

Next stuff will be Miele. Dad has some. Very nice, well made and never breaks. Customer service (for questions, not repairs) was excellent. You pay more, but its worth it

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #17  
My neighbor bought a Bosch dishwasher, due to CR ratings. Lasted 3 days, 2 uses, and a board went and it was going to take 3 weeks to get in a replacement... he told them to just remove the dishwasher and he bought a different brand. I bought a Bosch oven, second down from their top of the line. Oven pre-heat doesn't get it fully to temp, it is off by 25dF, we need to wait another 15-20 minutes before it is actually to requested temp. Then when you put cookies, the temp drops 35-40dF and never recovers during the 8 minutes it should take to cook the cookies, cakes are a disaster. Bosch tech says oven is working to spec, there are no issues!! Our $55 Cuisinart toaster oven does a better job. At the same time I also bought a Bosch washer and dryer, again due to the good ratings on line. My old Maytag Neptune washer and dryer worked MUCH better and was more consistent about drying. Bottom line of my rambling... no more Bosch for me.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #18  
We have had two Maytag dishwashers and both failed within the first week of use. We just bought a Bosch to replace the seven year old Maytag that failed three times. The last two failures were major repairs but one was covered under warranty. The last one was not and was not worth fixing so we researched and bought a Bosch. Bosch's racks are interesting to say the least. Our dishes do fit but we have to load differently. Bosch is very specific about how you should load your silverware! :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: Now, we ignore the manual and so far so good. Time will tell but we are very impressed with the washer.

I took out the Maytag and installed the Bosch. The attention to details in the Bosch is VERY apparent. The quality seems to be in the washer but time will tell.

Regarding fixing your baskets. The Maytag we had was a POS. The wheels would break on the racks and there were no way get replacements. I found some parts I was able use at Lowes on the screw and nail aisle. These parts would eventually fail but I was finally able to find some brass "wheels" on the same aisle that worked well. I had to modify the racks a bit but the brass parts I found were still working fine when I took the POS Maytag to the dump.

We have a Maytag fridge that failed right before the warranty expired. If the compressor fails again we will have to buy a new fridge. No way is it worth repairing.... They don't make them like they used too, or at least Maytag does not.

Later,
Dan

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #19  
All of my appliances were GE. Not a single one lasted a day over 4 years with very light usage. Replaced the washer & dryer with Fisher & Paykel, dishwasher is now Kitchenaid, and the fridge is a Kenmore Elite. They are at the 3 year mark trouble free as of now. Time will tell.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #20  
When I bought my Kitchenaid. 15 yrs ago. I think I paid $800-$900. What are you guys paying for these appliances.Are you buying the lower line less expensive mods ??