Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #31  
Was watching Andy Griffitt the other day and aunt Bee was fussing about the refrigerator repairman from Mt Pilot charged her $7.00 for a repair.

mark

$7 in 1960 would be about $55 today. Still pretty cheap for a home repair.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #33  
I know the feeling... the newer appliances doesnt seem to last and cost money in the short run. I am on my 3rd dishwasher in 12 yrs and currently not happy with performance of latest model- did worse then the first two.:mad:

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #34  
The aspect of this thead that I hate is the companies that use to be good change. Some people have talked favorably about a brand saying that their xxxxxxx has worked great for xx years with no problems. Sadly, that means little now because that company could have changed.

I have been considering a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I saw that they are not number 1 anymore by Consumer Reports. I look at reviews and the majority of them are "My mixer is 30 years old and I love it. I've had no problems with it." BUT there are many reviews with "The plastic gears died after a few months" and "I returned the 2nd one back to the store after it started making noisey after 2 weeks." Why is there a 1 year warantee on something like a mixer which cost several hundred dollars!

I'm actually looking for a used 15 year old mixer now thinking it'd be my best bet.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #35  
The aspect of this thead that I hate is the companies that use to be good change. Some people have talked favorably about a brand saying that their xxxxxxx has worked great for xx years with no problems. Sadly, that means little now because that company could have changed.

I have been considering a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I saw that they are not number 1 anymore by Consumer Reports. I look at reviews and the majority of them are "My mixer is 30 years old and I love it. I've had no problems with it." BUT there are many reviews with "The plastic gears died after a few months" and "I returned the 2nd one back to the store after it started making noisey after 2 weeks." Why is there a 1 year warantee on something like a mixer which cost several hundred dollars!

I'm actually looking for a used 15 year old mixer now thinking it'd be my best bet.

A few years ago I bought a Kitchen Aid mixer for my girlfriend for Christmas, after just a few uses it started leaking oil out of the gearbox that is in the front of the unit. We called the Kitchen Aid customer support department and was told that "some of our mixers leak oil" and to not worry about it because the oil that they use is "food grade".

Can you believe it?

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #36  
Bought the wife a refurbished KitchenAid mixer about 35 years ago. When it quit about 20 years later, I replaced it with a new one. Within a year a plastic gear broke. I dug out the old one and repaired it and it lasted a few more years. Finally gave up and replaced it with a Viking. That one is still going strong.

As for GE appliances, I occasionally relearn why I have avoided them for years. The last time was a microwave oven a year ago. I don't understand how they stay in business selling inferior appliances.

/ Grumble, grumble, another appliance rant #37  
Bought the wife a refurbished KitchenAid mixer about 35 years ago. When it quit about 20 years later, I replaced it with a new one. Within a year a plastic gear broke. I dug out the old one and repaired it and it lasted a few more years. Finally gave up and replaced it with a Viking. That one is still going strong.

As for GE appliances, I occasionally relearn why I have avoided them for years. The last time was a microwave oven a year ago. I don't understand how they stay in business selling inferior appliances.

GE has the advantage of not paying taxes I thought....