GST use/wear question

/ GST use/wear question #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I usually try to chop the throttle before changing gears or reversing with my L4200GST. I also make sure to stop before reversing. Lately while snowblowing, however, I've been keeping the RPMs pinned at PTO speed while shifting and reversing - just too complicated and time-consuming to run a variable throttle (Ever chop the throttle while the blower still has snow in it? It's ugly). I still stop before reversing, and I never use the foot clutch. I've heard that the GST is designed for full-power operation, and it makes sense that it is, but I was wondering about wear characteristics (wet clutches?) and if full-power operation vs. reduced-power shifting makes any kind of a substantial difference in longevity of clutches or whatever is in there that might or does wear out.

So, along those lines, is there anything inside that wears out, and if so, how often does it usually wear out, and what is a ballpark cost of doing the required maintenance when it does wear out?

/ GST use/wear question #2  
Jay,
My use of the GST on our L3240 sounds similar to yours.
Set the throttle based on load; select a gear based on the speed needed.
When reversing direction I leave the throttle set, shift to N while braking to a full stop, then shift to either Reverse or Forward.
The machine seems to operate very smoothly this way.
The foot clutch gets very little use:
I use it when first getting the tractor moving after starting.
Since it sleeps in a garage, I want to get it (and me) out of the garage quickly, before it fills with exhaust fumes.
At this point, the engine & tranny are full of cold oil and the foot clutch seems to smooth out engaging the drive line and the load on the engine.
After warming up, the only foot clutching I do is for very fine position adjustments -
like when backing up to hitch an implement or getting the 6' FEL bucket lined up over our 6' trailer before dumping.
I'm kind of curious what the life expectancy and wear points are, myself.
Hoping I'll find out by reading TBN, and not while in the saddle.
-Jim

/ GST use/wear question
Anybody? No Kubota mechanics or those with DIY experience on board??

/ GST use/wear question #4  
I usually try to chop the throttle before changing gears or reversing with my L4200GST. I also make sure to stop before reversing. Lately while snowblowing, however, I've been keeping the RPMs pinned at PTO speed while shifting and reversing - just too complicated and time-consuming to run a variable throttle (Ever chop the throttle while the blower still has snow in it? It's ugly). I still stop before reversing, and I never use the foot clutch. I've heard that the GST is designed for full-power operation, and it makes sense that it is, but I was wondering about wear characteristics (wet clutches?) and if full-power operation vs. reduced-power shifting makes any kind of a substantial difference in longevity of clutches or whatever is in there that might or does wear out.

So, along those lines, is there anything inside that wears out, and if so, how often does it usually wear out, and what is a ballpark cost of doing the required maintenance when it does wear out?

Kubota L39 with near 2,000 hours. Today i plowed snow all day, shifting fprward to reverse hundreds if not thousands of times at about 2,200 RPM.

I hope the wet cluch is as durable as advertized.

/ GST use/wear question #5  
Hey Jay, looks like those gst's are pretty tough, no one has had issues yet.;)

/ GST use/wear question
Kubota L39 with near 2,000 hours. Today i plowed snow all day, shifting fprward to reverse hundreds if not thousands of times at about 2,200 RPM.

I hope the wet cluch is as durable as advertized.

I hope the same thing. Only 2200 RPM? Rated speed is 2700 on an L39. I always run my L4200 at full blast when running a snowblower...PTO speed is around 2600 RPM, I think...and it has 2600 hours on it. I hope it lasts forever, 'cause I LOVE my creampuff L4200 and don't ever want to have to buy another. :)

/ GST use/wear question #8  
When I bought my M5700 with hyd. clutch the dealer said no need to lower rpms or even come to a complete stop if in a lower gear which would mean going slowly . I would guess the hyd. clutch would be of the same principle as gst but not sure about that. I too usually come to a stop before changing direction even if not needed . I very seldom ever run at full rpm at any task even when snow blowing. I have creeper gears so that helps when in heavy snow .

Last edited:
   / GST use/wear question
There is a hydraulic clutch called out in the parts manual. Both that and the hydraulic pto clutch look like wet motorcycle clutches, which are generally pretty rugged. Oddly, the GST hydraulic clutch is a 3-plate design, while the PTO clutch is a 6 plate design.

/ GST use/wear question #10  
The GST Transmission is designed to be shifted at operating rpm. That is the case with both shifting "gears" and forward and reverse shifting. The wet clutches that are used area designed for that purpose and similar clutch packs are used in shuttle shift and powershift transmissions in Kubota product. No worries, no significant difference in wear.