GST use/wear question

/ GST use/wear question #11  
I mostly bush hog with mine. I leave the lever throttle at speed for the PTO, clutch and break to a stop, then go to reverse and release the clutch. I also will down shift the gear for reverse. This way I am not traveling faster then I was in forward, due to the difference in gearing. I do not clutch when changing gears one or two notches up or down in the lower ranges, but if I'm running a high gear I will clutch on the slow down from say 12 to 9, then 9 to 4 when tuning off a dirt road and into a field.

/ GST use/wear question #12  
I would prefer to throttle down than use the clutch.

/ GST use/wear question #13  
No worries they are built to take it. The GST valve engages and disengages the clutch smoothly and the wet clutch system produces practically no wear on the discs.

/ GST use/wear question #14  
Clutch wear depends on how much time it spends slipping under load. If slip time is kept short, the small heat buildup dissipates, leaving the clutch nearly unaffected. Once a GST shift begins, the process is swift (short slip time) like in a car's auto trans. The design life is very long, even shifting under load.

/ GST use/wear question #15  
Dick, if fast engagement lengthens wet clutch life our EverClutch metering valve should be in the fastest (#1) position for longer life? Mine was in the straight up (#2) position when I got it and I haven't changed it.

/ GST use/wear question #16  
I've heard from a local fellow running a JD in his hay business that he can just take whatever shifter that controls forward and reverse and just flip back and forth and the tractor will automatically slow down and change direction with no added user input. I would imagine that's a similar feature on the Kubotas? I'd think they're built well enough to handle such maneuvers. I've only owned/operated a HST, but the gear shift features on these things sure sound pretty durable.

/ GST use/wear question #17  
.......whatever shifter that controls forward and reverse...just flip back and forth and the tractor will automatically slow down and change direction with no added user input.......
I don't claim to know all the variations of wet clutches - but all brands have have continued to improve, becoming more robust, positive and smoother engaging. In the early ones, abruptness of engagement depended on operator technique. Flipping the lever from Forward to Reverse could plant your face in the steering wheel. Luckily with improved design they've become much better.

/ GST use/wear question #18  
Dick, if fast engagement lengthens wet clutch life our EverClutch metering valve should be in the fastest (#1) position for longer life? Mine was in the straight up (#2) position when I got it and I haven't changed it.

Engagement should be reasonably direct, but not so fast that it jerks the machine (or operator) around. The important idea for clutch life is not to ride the pedal. Don't slip the clutch as a means of speed control. That kills any clutch - wet or dry.

Our L3 shuttles have adjustable engagement speed to correct for climate (oil viscosity) But it's more for operator comfort. Any setting will be ok for clutch life. Your Mississippi summer shifts will be softer using the #3 orifice where my Mass winter shifts would be better on #1.

Last edited:
   / GST use/wear question #19  
I don't know what it's called or how it works but it sounded pretty cool. The tractor just brings itself to a stop then proceeds to go in the opposite direction. I'd think you'd have to get pretty used to the transitions so you can time it just right, there's room for a lot of oopsies in there and hopefully no running into anything!

/ GST use/wear question #20  
Designers have a tough job. Today's operators demand more and more automation. I remember when GST's were new, they gave operators the "puckers" because tractor could roll while the clutch was disengaged between shifts. Intervention to control tractor motion during shifts was needed. Sounds like your JD hay guy may have one that handles more of that.

"Designing something to be foolproof sometime just gives rise to a new class of fools" - Warren Nelson, Northeastern Univ. 1966

Last edited: