Gun and ammo question

/ Gun and ammo question #91  
.223 and 5.56 anr interchangeable

I'm not sure if you meant .223 and 5.56 are or aren't interchangeable.

To clarify, it's safe to fire a .223 in a 5.56 chamber, but not the inverse.

Last edited:
   / Gun and ammo question #92  
Yup! exactly.

/ Gun and ammo question
To the OP,

The historical "farm gun" has been something not terribly powerful, (.22lr, .22hornet which I find brass whenever I clean a hedgerow, .32-20, .410 shotgun) simple, (break action, rolling block, bolt) and cheap, (because it was just another tool that was going to be with a farmer getting rained on fixing fence and bouncing around cultivating corn).

I would recommend something that takes a box magazine due to rules about having a "loaded" firearm if that is acceptable. In places where a loaded magazine is a loaded gun, may I suggest something that takes stripper clips.

I carried a 10-22 for years on the fender of the old Ford in a scabbard. Times have changed, I wouldn't want to be caught just leaving it under a jacket anymore. As I've gotten older, I now realize that there may be a time where .22lr just isn't enough. (I know the biggest bear in Canada was taken with a .22lr....shot placement is what counts.) I also got caught with less than 100 rounds when the banic started and I went years without finding resupply.

As a fan of Jeff Cooper, I've chosen the Scout rifle concept.
1. It is one gun capable of taking anything in NA.
2. Light, short, (just like 10-22)
3. Bolt action should be safe from political action for a while.
4. Bolts can be fast (look at "mad minute" videos)
5. Easy to download and reload.
6. Multiple sight systems available on the rifle.

Yes it is a .308win but using a $30 NEW Lee loader, cast lead bullets (buy them cheap, made for 30-30, you don't have to cast) and some Trail Boss powder I load my own subsonic loads for less than .223 and it has very similar report, recoil and trajectory to a .22 while having 165gn vs 40gn of bullet hitting.

Currently steel cased Russian .308 can be under $.50 a round.

The 12ga advice is good. If you are going to shoot a raccoon in a tree or running, a load of shot works great.

It seems like a rimfire and a shotgun are pretty standard tools. Don't spend a dollar to save a dime with conversion kits and interchangeable barrels.

I am not looking to reload. I would stock up on whatever ammo the gun takes that I buy. I want the ammo, however, to be fairly common so there would be a supply of it if things head south.

Not intending to shoot game on the run unless necessary. For the Mrs. issues we would trap them and then dispatch them as that is what local law requires.

At this point I am probably leaning toward the Remington 10/22. Since I live in Indiana it is going to be a long time before they have trouble with us having a 10 rd mag.

/ Gun and ammo question #94  
I am not looking to reload. I would stock up on whatever ammo the gun takes that I buy. I want the ammo, however, to be fairly common so there would be a supply of it if things head south.

Not intending to shoot game on the run unless necessary. For the Mrs. issues we would trap them and then dispatch them as that is what local law requires.

At this point I am probably leaning toward the Remington 10/22. Since I live in Indiana it is going to be a long time before they have trouble with us having a 10 rd mag.

When you go shopping for it, just make sure you ask to see a "Ruger" 10/22 vs. the "Remington" 10/22 you mentioned :) Have had my Ruger for many years and have found it to be flawless.

/ Gun and ammo question #95  
I have seen the Ruger 10/22's recently for $229.00.I paid $79.00 for mine many years ago.Still a great gun for the money;all kinds of accessories available.Mine has been upgraded with a Hogue stock,stainless bull barrel,scope and BX trigger.Tack driver with the right ammo.

/ Gun and ammo question #96  
When you go shopping for it, just make sure you ask to see a "Ruger" 10/22 vs. the "Remington" 10/22 you mentioned :) Have had my Ruger for many years and have found it to be flawless.

Most of the things Ruger has ever made have been flawless or nearly so. Maybe not the prettiest in some cases, but nearly always "heck for stout" A few of their products might not be the most ergonomic, but the 10/22 has been out since 1964 or so and it has been one heck of a .22. Sure, others make .22's but they aren't any better, and most of worse. Unless you get up into the custom target rifles. But as a utilitarian .22 in my mind there really is no need to look at others. The Ruger 10/22 is superior in form and function, not to mention the options available in the industry that has grown up to modify, customize, and "trick out" this humble little rifle. You will never go wrong with a 10/22 in all of it variants. (Do I sound like a paid spokesperson?). :laughing:

/ Gun and ammo question #97  
Hey, reloading is fun.. especially if you cast lead too.

/ Gun and ammo question #98  

Ruger 10/22 on sale at one of the sporting goods stores in the Sunday paper yesterday.

/ Gun and ammo question #100  
I spent a little more and ordered a "Deluxe" grade 10/22 for my wife. Walnut stock, really nice blueing, chrome bolt and all the bits were metal that I heard are otherwise plastic. It's a little too nice.

Reloading is fun and with cast lead and in particular "Trail boss" powder it is very safe. The 165gn 30caliber bullet, even though it leaves the muzzle slower than a .22 is the significantly more pleasant to dispatch raccoons in a trap. Many raccoons will move enough to make a head shot difficult and will take a lung shot from a .22 only to become enraged. The slow quite Trail boss loads instantly end a raccoon without poking holes in the other side of the trap.