Gun room

/ Gun room #13  
If a "room" is well sealed (floor,walls,ceiling)...once the air is dry it should remain that way...until moist air is re-introduced...

security is one matter...when considering the interior atmosphere think "clean room"...

/ Gun room #15  
I am in Michigan, and the humidity doesn't drop much below 50% for much of the year, usually only in the winter. I did much the same thing as you, but I didn't buy a vault door, as I figured that I am not trying to defeat a master thief, but usually local bums. Most all crimes are committed by someone you know, not complete strangers. They will be neighbors, friends of friends, and sadly, your own relatives. I put a heavy commercial door in, use it as a safe room. A dehumidifier is a good idea.

/ Gun room #16  
I did the exact same thing for my gun room. I then walled off half the space with cinder block and used a steel fire door with a dead bolt lock. That room is where the guns are kept. The rest is used for my reloading room and a safe room in case of tornados. This room was not heated so I got a lot of moisture condensing on the concrete ceiling. My solution was to use a dehumidifier and a small radiator type space heater in the winter. That seemed to solve the condensation issue. I let the dehumidifier run year round and don't have any rust issues. FWIW, I had tried to add a drop ceiling with insulation in there and that compounded the problem. This tiles and insulation became saturated and I had to remove that ASAP. Live and learn. Good luck to you.

John

/ Gun room #17  
Just completed my new home. In the basement I had a room added under the porch cap. Size is 6 X 20 with 10" concrete walls and 8" concrete porch cap above. No utilities in this room and is unheated. I have been planning on making a small room within this space ( 6X8 ) a location for my guns and other valuables. I plan on adding 2 X 4 walls with insulation and plastic behind the drywall. The porch cap has plastic under the concrete. The soil is very sandy and the basement has zero water issues. Do you see any issues with rust? Location is in Michigan so the outside temp varies from -10 to 90 deg. I'm sure the basement will remain in the 60 deg range. Also looking for ideas of possibly making a hidden door for this space as well.

I don't believe you should plastic on the walls. The walls have to breath into the basement or mildew will form on concrete walls.

/ Gun room #18  
You can buy a lock for the room that will sent a text to your smartphone whenever the door is opened. If I were building something similar I would definitely have something like that in my plans.

/ Gun room #20  
Good idea to protect your firearms and valuables. But the problem I see is you are wanting to add a vapor barrier and insulation to an unconditioned space. This will only add to condensation issues and mold. If you insulate the room you need to run a duct to it to make it conditioned. If you seal it off without letting air flow through it watch to make sure you don't cause an issue with stagnant air. Personally I would want my firearms in a room that was conditioned.