Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #1  

hamdog

Bronze Member
As most know I was in the market for a 40-50HP tractor, and finally settled on a deal with a dealership on a new Kubota MX5200. Well as most know things change in life and my wife and I will be expecting our first child in April. So of course here comes the budget cuts, and one of them is the tractor. The hard part for us to absorb was the 20% down with the 0%/84 or even the 10% down with the 0%/72mos. Anyway I have come to accept that I will not be able to afford a new tractor with 0% down. I've switched gears and started looking at the Massey's and New Holland due to the $0 down with 0%/84mos, but the payments are still pretty high with the larger 40-50HP tractor.

Now I've found a locally owned Massey 1533 Powershuttle with 1525 loader 700hrs, it good shape for $14,500. Is this tractor worth it for the price? My gut and wallet is telling me $12,500. What are your guys thoughts and concerns on this tractor and is $12,500 a good price if I can get it for that. I have 27acres will be using it for taking care of a 600ft driveway, snow blowing (I have an 8ft fisher plow and truck), rototilling, small loader work, pulling out fire wood for our house only, and brush hogging around the 8acres of meadow. The agreement with wife is we would save up and upgrade to a larger rig in 2-4 years. Thank you!

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #2  
That sounds like a pretty decent deal, but $12k area would be what I'd probably pay. I've got a 2005 1533 with right at 1000 hours. Only issues are hub (may be spindle) seal starts leaking after every 400 hours or so (we've replaced twice, but I think there have been 3 revisions to the seal). Picked ours up at a steal back around 2011 or so, IIRC for $13k with 350 hours on it. Came with WR Long 4n1, 60" Bush Hog, box blade and square tube disk. Tractor has synchroshuttle trans, though. This tractor is a great package, IMO. It's pretty powerful for what it is.

Funny enough, we are looking for a 50hp ish tractor to add as we are working a little more ground that we've cleared.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I haven't been on this forum in ages, but plan to get back and be somewhat active again.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??
I offered $12,500 and he won’t take it. The largest hurdle is getting a loan through the bank for a used tractor private sale. They want proof of insurance, bill of sale, 3rd party appraisal, and proof of title. I don’t believe they have titles, so basically they make it a pain in the but to purchase through private sale.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #4  
I offered $12,500 and he won’t take it. The largest hurdle is getting a loan through the bank for a used tractor private sale. They want proof of insurance, bill of sale, 3rd party appraisal, and proof of title. I don’t believe they have titles, so basically they make it a pain in the but to purchase through private sale.
Try a personal loan, if you have good credit. I used lending tree, I think, and they sent me a bunch of offers. I picked the one I liked best and it worked out great. No collateral.

Ya personal loan was 8.5% interest....

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #6  
Ya personal loan was 8.5% interest....
Find a local small bank or credit union that deals with small farms or construction loans they will be able to make a reasonable loan on used equipment if you qualify for the manufacturer 0% credit union should not be an issue and no matter what you buy you will need insurance.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #7  

Or go older & used. $12500 will buy a very nice 20 year old machine outright. In fact for that money I'd expect a creampuff with loader and half a dozen implements.
rScotty

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #8  
I've owned a MF1529 for about a year and have put around 45 hrs on it. It has been very dependable and given no trouble. I did quite a bit of grading and dirt work to upgrade my driveway and approach to our home, use it to mow 3 acres with a 6ft flail, maintain a small section of gravel road, and have dragged off some downed trees. It has proven very capable for those tasks. I think the price in any area is dictated by what's available, but I would try to get him down a bit off his price. If he doesn't get any takers, he may reconsider your offer. Good luck with the financing.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #9  
I like the 1533. It's similar in features, size and weight to the Kubota Grand L tractors of the same hp. If it has been garage kept and well maintained, his price is not too far off, depending upon the area of the country. I'd try to be closer to 13 or 13,500, myself.

I am going to have the tractor appraised at a local dealership prior to making a final offer. Thanks guys for the help!