Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #11  
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??
The guy decided to back out of the deal and wait till spring to sell the tractor. There is not a nice 35-50hp compact tractor to be had in New England for a decent price. The few that are available they almost want the cost of new. I guess I’m back to the drawing board ....

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #13  
The guy decided to back out of the deal and wait till spring to sell the tractor. There is not a nice 35-50hp compact tractor to be had in New England for a decent price. The few that are available they almost want the cost of new. I guess I知 back to the drawing board ....

People are so weird...

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #14  
The guy decided to back out of the deal and wait till spring to sell the tractor. There is not a nice 35-50hp compact tractor to be had in New England for a decent price. The few that are available they almost want the cost of new. I guess I知 back to the drawing board ....

I hear a variations on that plight from a lot of my younger friends. To them I recommend trying the older used market rather than financing a newer machine - but there's never much interest....and I still don't understand why. Can someone explain?
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #15  
Locally there is a Ford 3930 1991??? with 600 hours. They have cut the price from $20,000 to $18,200 which is a few thousand more than when sold new per a guy with a 1995 that he bought new. It is the new stuff is SO high price I guess.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #16  
I hear a variations on that plight from a lot of my younger friends. To them I recommend trying the older used market rather than financing a newer machine - but there's never much interest....and I still don't understand why. Can someone explain?
rScotty

I will share my reason... I have been shopping for a "newer" small compact to replace a mid 80s JD750. I found very few that met the specs I was looking for used and one I missed by a day two others never returned my inquires. Salesmen are always willing to sell so I'm buying new.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??
Mainly there is nothing to be found that is in decent shape and price. If it’s in good shape they want only a few thousand less than a new one with no warranty left. Also I have to finance regardless and financing at 4.75% vs 0% is a huge difference in payment and you get a machine with 5-6 warranty. I’ve been looking for over a year now and have failed to find anything or anyone that will call me back. Right now dealers are getting hungrier around here.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #18  
rScotty

I sure can't! I'm of the same opinion. In fact, I would postulate that a good - PROVEN - used machine that has been well kept is a better risk than an unproven machine with no hours. Deals are out there for cash buyers who can react quickly and fix minor issues.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #19  
I sure can't! I'm of the same opinion. In fact, I would postulate that a good - PROVEN - used machine that has been well kept is a better risk than an unproven machine with no hours. Deals are out there for cash buyers who can react quickly and fix minor issues.

I have been told cash buyers are more rare than proven used machines.

My average 'new' car purchase price has been running about $6K for the past 10-15 years. They are under 10 years old and just a bit over 100K miles. It is a buyer's market because there is little to no financing by lenders for older used stuff.

Yes there is a ton of junk tractors and other out there for sure. About 7 years ago when I was looking for a front end loader for the 265 MF it was junk or $6K+ for a new one. I came home with a 1983 worn out JD 310b backhoe for $7200. Other than a battery and set of tires (for better traction be a 2WD) and some hoses and fluid I have not spent much more at all. Now we have done the repairs and only one O ring failure made me hit the books/internet. Oh I did hit up HF for some BIG wrench sets. :)

We did the work because I could with the help of the kids otherwise it would have been expensive to call a service truck every time. Austin started to diesel college a couple months ago and tells me after my years of working with him finds himself doing well with trouble shooting. Actually his twin sister is very good too but that is not her cup of tea at age 20. :)

I have been having a ball with the 2010 Subaru Forester with 105K miles that we bought two months ago and have changed out the fluids in the auto transmission and both differentials. The $18K+ less cash lay out made the deal of interest to me. This is the first Subaru I ever even sat in. Changed the oil today after 3000 miles and it was still near the full market.

I know people that are better off buying new so that is a viable option and helps supply more used machines. When we get the 265 MF back from the shop for fuel lines, power steering seals at the steering wheel, etc I expect it will make it another 40 years with little expense since it only has 1400 hours on it. The wife's father bought it new when he retired.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #20  
Hamdog,
I don't know where you are in life, but with one on the way, I will make the assumption that you're closer to early or middle than late... If I might make a suggestion... It sounds like a tractor is a "want", not a need. Your priorities are now for needs... Take care of those. For your want, I would recommend starting a savings account for a tractor. Put whatever you think you can afford for a payment in it EVERY month. Unless you have an absolute need, or perhaps work for it that includes getting paid so it pays it's own way, don't buy anything until you can pay cash.
IMO, if you can't afford even 20% down, you shouldn't be buying. Save your pennies, and you'll be there soon enough. OR perhaps a sweet deal will pop up. I've recently discovered FB Marketplace. No wonder there's not much on CL anymore... :)

Good luck, and Congratulations!!