Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #21  
Figure out what your payment would be on the tractor/loan package.
Start today making that payment to your savings account.
In less than a year you will have the 10% or 20% downpayment saved up.

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #22  
Spent last evening looking for old Ford tractors. Today locally I looked a gas 3000 ford with 8 speed transmission. Wanted $4750 and was solid on that amount. Low hours (1800 hours reported) and may in the ballpark. Included an old Birch disk, junk two bottom non tripping breaking plow, old but little used 6' box blade. Fluid was pouring out from steering wheel base, gas seeps around carb and engine oil running down the block from the valve cover area. They bought it 4-5 years ago for $5000 from the first owner who bought it new and it was then barn kept. It may have been desirable at that point in time. Both rear rims rusted out beyond being functional. Tread good but rubber was like concrete.

Late today I looked at about the same 3000 ford but it was a diesel and a better cared for tractor but the paint was shot. Firm at $4250 (he gaved $6500 12 years ago). For $250 he would toss in a well worn and beat up bush hog. From the transmission to the front of the engine it was black from perhaps 40+ years of oil/diesel leaks. One rim had been replaced and the other one looked basically OK. Tread OK but tires were 20+ years old and not OEM tires. One tire air only and the OEM rim still had the fluid in it.

I am sure there are barn 'finds' out there but the low price old stuff more or less seems to suck. It is NOT loan worthy in my view after hitting the road today.

While both of the above might 'work out' and one might get back money spent on them and repairs but you would be donating your labor I expect if selling it.

Now both of these above could be good project tractors if one had some shop space, equipment and skills and 'wanted' a project.

For the person working 40-60 weeks and needs a tractor ready to mow, grade, etc, etc when they get a couple hours I expect just need to look at spinning in the $15K-$30K+ price range.

I really am not offering any advice here but just was I have read here and saw with my eyes. The diesel about 80 miles away happen to be in the same town of the place that is to deliver our 8x16' horse run made out of sawmill oak and treated runners and base 2 bys so I was able to pull some measurements off of it and start planning mods to it before we do the final spotting and leveling. They are going to get out from under it in the yard near the mini horse lots.

On old iron I do see why younger people may should stay away from it if they have to use shops for everything that breaks or bends.

If an ad is 2+ weeks old then I think it is safe to call the tractor junk or a used dealer or cash buyer would have already bought it. Guys that are in love with their old tractors never seem to be motivated sellers. :)

/ Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533?? #23  

Attachments

• 3000 Ford Dover 5.jpg
    3000 Ford Dover 5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 3000 Ford Dover 2.jpg
    3000 Ford Dover 2.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 3000 Ford Dover 3.jpg
    3000 Ford Dover 3.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 3000 Ford Dover 7.png
    3000 Ford Dover 7.png
    565.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 3000 ford serial.jpeg
    3000 ford serial.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
   / Had to switch gears to a smaller tractor, MF 1533??
Hamdog,
I don't know where you are in life, but with one on the way, I will make the assumption that you're closer to early or middle than late... If I might make a suggestion... It sounds like a tractor is a "want", not a need. Your priorities are now for needs... Take care of those. For your want, I would recommend starting a savings account for a tractor. Put whatever you think you can afford for a payment in it EVERY month. Unless you have an absolute need, or perhaps work for it that includes getting paid so it pays it's own way, don't buy anything until you can pay cash.
IMO, if you can't afford even 20% down, you shouldn't be buying. Save your pennies, and you'll be there soon enough. OR perhaps a sweet deal will pop up. I've recently discovered FB Marketplace. No wonder there's not much on CL anymore... :)

Good luck, and Congratulations!!

Thanks 1st Deuce. That is most likely what we will do we have been putting in savings what we can afford for payment for a yr now hoping to find a good used one or a dealer that will work you.